Benefits of green asparagus
Compared to white asparagus, green asparagus has several advantages: Since it grows above ground and is therefore exposed to the sun, it forms more healthy nutrients. In addition, the cultivation is much easier and more environmentally friendly than that of white asparagus, since, for example, it is not necessary to cover it with plastic film - this is also reflected in the prices: green asparagus is significantly cheaper than white. For all cooks, the decisive advantage is that green asparagus does not have to be peeled. The woody ends are simply cut off. In addition, green asparagus is more aromatic than white.
- Freezing asparagus - is that also possible unpeeled?
- Asparagus for dogs - harmful or not?
- Fruit enjoyment in every season: freeze peaches
Prepare and freeze green asparagus
Since the green asparagus does not need to be peeled, all you have to do is wash it, pat it dry, and cut off the lower ends of the asparagus stalks. Asparagus is not cooked before it is frozen, otherwise it would be too soft after defrosting.
Pack the prepared asparagus spears in portions in freezer bags labeled with the date of freezing, squeeze out the air and close the bags carefully. Alternatively, you can first spread the bars out on a board, freeze them on this and then repack them in bags or boxes. This method has the advantage that the bars do not freeze together into a block and can be removed individually from the containers as required.
Defrost and cook green asparagus
Thawing the frozen green asparagus is very easy:
- Remove the required portion of asparagus from the freezer.
- Put them in a saucepan with boiling salted water and a spoonful of butter. Optionally, you can add a little sugar to neutralize a possible bitter note. Asparagus should be boiled in a little water; A special asparagus pot is ideal.
- After five to eight minutes (depending on the thickness of the asparagus stalks) the green asparagus is done. It is perfect when it tilts down slightly at both ends when placed over a fork.
- If you want to use the asparagus for a cold dish, you can soak it in ice water. This is how it keeps its intense green color.