Pour in summer and winter
The Washington palm, also known as the fan palm or petticoat palm, literally thirsts for water. Your substrate must therefore be kept constantly moist. But watering “in stock” is not possible with her, as she does not tolerate waterlogging. Especially on hot days, you have to reach for your watering can every day. In winter, the top substrate layer is allowed to dry out, but then watering is also used.
- Washingtonia robusta - growth per year
- Tips for the correct care of the Hawaii palm
- Hibernating citrus plants in the living room - is that feasible?
The leaves of this species of palm are sensitive to lime. Water your fan palm only with soft rainwater or lime-free or stale tap water.
Fast growth demands nutrients
Washingtonia robusta is one of the fastest growing palms. The annual growth can produce up to 20 new palm fronds. A balanced supply of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium (NPK fertilizer) is therefore important during the growing season.
- fertilize regularly at short intervals from April to September
- fertilize less often in winter, depending on the location
- use a liquid fertilizer
- z. B. special palm fertilizer (not a must)
- a green manure also provides enough nutrients
- Always administer with irrigation water
- Observe the manufacturer's dosage instructions
Only cut dry things
The palm tree has only one vegetation point, the palm heart. This must not be cut at any time. If outer leaves dry up, you can cut them off at any time if you don't like them. However, leave about 5-10 cm of it on the trunk.
Repot regularly in larger pots
Washingtonia robusta needs a stable, spacious pot in which it can extend its roots deeply. A young palm has to be repotted every year, an older specimen only every 2-3 years. The best time for repotting is spring or alternatively summer.
Winter in the house
The Washington palm is only partially hardy, because temperatures around -3 ° C can be expected to cause frost damage to palm fronds. If the thermometer falls below - 8 ° C, the entire palm dies. Hibernate the palm lightly and at 5 - 10 ° C. Pests can easily occur in warm rooms with dry heating air.
If you live in a mild region and have planted your palm tree in your garden, you have to heat it in winter.