What are the basic characteristics of bed frames made of concrete?
Concrete is a modern material that can be used in many ways. It is also, or especially, ideal for edging beds.
- Bed edging from palisades test 2020: the best models in comparison
- Bed edging made of willow test 2020: the best models in comparison
- Plastic bed edging test 2020: the best models in comparison
Brief definition of concreteour recommendation
Kieskönig Palisade Concrete Brick molding stone Edging stones made of precious chippings colored through 22 x 8 x 7.5 cm Autumn gold 200 pieces749.00 EUR To the product
Many people think of concrete as a naturally occurring substance. However, this is a mistake. In fact, the material is an artificially produced building material. This is mixed as a heterogeneous mixture of a binding agent and so-called additives with the addition of liquid.
Note: Cured concrete is sometimes also referred to as artificial stone - no wonder, given the artificial production and stone look.
Common normal concrete contains cement as a binding agent and aggregate as an aggregate. The chemical setting process - i.e. hardening - is initiated by the added water.
Concrete would be difficult to process without further additives and additives. For this reason, appropriate additives are added to normal concrete after it has hardened. Only then does the mixture dry completely.
Advantageous properties of concrete boundaries
There are many good reasons why concrete is ideally suited for edging beds. Due to the extreme hardness and pronounced weather resistance, the material proves to be particularly durable. In addition, bed borders (€ 26.90 at Amazon *) made of concrete are very easy to care for. Not to forget that the exact dimensions of concrete blocks make it much easier to lay the bed border yourself. Every single concrete element fits exactly to the centimeter, so that even a hobby gardener inexperienced in this regard can create strictly geometric bed contours without any major problem. Accordingly, concrete blocks bring the dream of a Japanese garden to a reality with wonderfully clean finishes within reach.
Other points that speak in favor of buying a bed border made of concrete are the lawnmower-friendliness (see FAQ section) and the pleasant fact that concrete borders are available in a variety of colors and shapes, for example in brown or gray, as well as rectangular corners or palisades . This means that the detailed implementation of the concrete border can be individually adapted.
If you read through all the advantages of concrete, it is quite surprising that bed borders made of this material are extremely inexpensive compared to most other materials. As a rule, you pay one to a maximum of three euros per running meter. Only plastic bed frames cost even less.
Important: The low price is impressive. Keep in mind, however, that concrete is an extremely heavy weight material. There may be additional costs for the transport.
Disadvantageous features of concrete edging
It is true that bed borders made of concrete represent relatively simple and thus unobtrusive delimitation solutions in and of themselves; however, in most cases they are not really beautiful and decorative. In this respect, you should look carefully before buying and consider whether you like the bulky look of concrete in your garden (and whether it even fits your basic garden style).
Thanks to modern production methods, more and more concrete blocks appear wonderfully natural - looking as if they came straight from the quarry. This impression can even be reinforced with carefully selected colors such as granite brown or shell limestone, as well as with special surfaces (such as a quartz layer).
Furthermore, the installation of bed borders made of concrete is relatively laborious compared to laying borders made of other materials - especially if the respective border is also to serve as a root barrier.
General advantages and disadvantages of bed borders made of concrete
- extremely weather-resistant
- very durable
- extremely easy to care for
- enables clean deals
- often not particularly beautiful or decorative
- relatively complex to install
What types of concrete bed borders are there?
There are different designs of concrete bed frames, such as these:
- Lawn edging stones
- Mowing edges
Lawn edging stones in the testour recommendation
Cobblestone granite light gray, granite cobblestone light gray, cobblestone granite light gray, in 1000kg big bag or wooden box305.50 EUR To the product
With classic, square lawn edging stones, you can delimit the lawn or the plants and prevent accidental damage. By placing concrete block next to concrete block, you create a simple, absolutely neutral border that is neither positive nor negative (from a visual point of view).
Palisades in check
Concrete palisades are available in a wide variety of designs - for example, as rectangular palisades or as round or semicircular palisades. Your taste decides which variant is best for your garden (and of course the basic design of your green oasis).
Recommendation: Square palisades with a natural stone look create an extremely elegant appearance and ensure a harmonious ambience in your garden. However, round palisades in warm colors can also have a very decorative effect.
Mowing edges in the test
As the name suggests, concrete mowing edges are primarily intended to make mowing the lawn easier for you. The flat concrete blocks give you the opportunity to simply drive over them with your lawnmower.
Practical: mowing edges with a rounded end can also be laid in curves without any problems.
Further purchase criteria
In addition to the specific design, you should also consider the following criteria when buying a bed border made of concrete in order to ultimately find the ideal variant for your individual needs:
Do you only want to create a visual separation of bed and lawn with the concrete edging or should the edging also prevent deep-rooted plants from spreading unauthorized in the ground?
- In the former case, a low concrete bed border is sufficient.
- In the second case, you need a fairly high boundary to be able to set them deep into the garden soil.
In specialist shops there are bed borders made of concrete at very different heights, for example
- 30 cm,
- 40 cm,
- 50 cm and
- 60 cm.
Note: Most concrete lawn edging stones are 25 to 30 centimeters high.
The choice of color is best based on what goes well with your garden style. Since concrete surrounds exist in very different - especially natural - colors, you can enjoy a large selection in this regard.
What brands are there?
Here you can see a short overview of popular brands for bed frames made of concrete (in alphabetical order):
- Richard Brink
- Thomas Philipps
Concrete bed borders are best bought at a hardware store - either on site or online. Ordering on the Internet has the advantage that the heavy concrete blocks are delivered to your home, so that you save yourself the transport. Among others, the following hardware stores are possible:
- Globus hardware store
How do I care for the concrete edging?
One of the great advantages of bed surrounds made of concrete is that they are easy to maintain. In fact, boundaries made from this almost indestructible material do not require any special maintenance measures.
If the concrete blocks are soiled, it is best to clean them with a cleaner designed for the special material. Appropriate means are available in every hardware store. As a precaution, you can order a suitable care product for your concrete bed border.
frequently asked Questions
How can I build a concrete border myself?
You can also build bed borders made of concrete yourself. We have two practical step-by-step instructions for you:
- Bed border made of poured concrete
- Bed border made of prefabricated concrete slabs
Make bed surrounds out of poured concrete
Suitability: for curved beds with tight curves
- Dig a trench about 25 to 40 centimeters deep.
- Half-fill the trench with gravel.
- Compact the gravel material well.
- Add fine grit (€ 12.80 at Amazon *).
- Also compress grit.
- Attach sturdy casing.
- Fill the cladding with terrace concrete.
- Compact the concrete by vigorously hitting the material using a flat trowel.
- Cover the work surface with boards for protection.
- Let it dry for at least three days.
- Only then can you remove the protective boards again.
- Fill bed borders on the bed and lawn side with topsoil. Finished!
Create bed borders from prefabricated concrete slabs
Suitability: for all beds
Preliminary remark: Concrete slabs can also be poured yourself in a DIY manner. This has the advantage that you can adapt the dimensions specifically to your needs. This is how it works:
- Build square frames from battens.
- Scatter the mold with fine sand.
- Pour in and compact concrete.
- Let the concrete dry well.
If pouring yourself is too much of a hassle, just use prefabricated concrete slabs from the hardware store.
How to install the self-made or purchased concrete slabs, we will tell you in the following instructions:
- Dig a trench. This must be at least 25 centimeters deeper than the part of the concrete slab that should finally protrude into the ground. Example: Would you like to “sink” 15 centimeters into the plate? Then you need a trench at least 40 centimeters deep.
- Fill the trench with a ten centimeter thick layer of gravel.
- Compress the gravel layer.
- Fill in as much gravel as before.
- Carefully compress this ingredient as well.
- Lay out a bed of mortar about ten centimeters thick.
- Place the concrete blocks in the prepared bed and align them.
- Tap the stones with the plastic hammer.
- Slope the mortar bed towards the lawn and the bed.
- Let everything dry well.
- Finally, backfill the border of the bed with topsoil.
How do I lay a concrete lawn edge in a lawnmower-friendly manner?
It is advisable to lay it flat so that the lawn mower wheel can easily drive over the concrete lawn edge.
If you want a border that extends a few centimeters above ground level, it is advisable to additionally pave the border. In this way, you protect the mower blades and reduce the effort for yourself when looking after your lawn.
What options are there for attractive and / or functional concrete boundaries?
- Lawn edging stones with a rounded top for a clear separation of bed and lawn
- Corner stones matching the lawn edging stones for a geometrically appealing bed border
- semicircular mowing edging stones for creating curved bed borders in or next to the lawn
- Palisade made of concrete with a wood look for a long-lasting bed border in a natural look
- Concrete stones in earth color and shingle profile for atmospheric framing of Mediterranean beds
- Concrete bricks as an inexpensive alternative to natural stone for low dry stone walls
- Concrete trough stones for reliable drainage of excess rainwater (very helpful in beds with regular water accumulation)