Red bush tomatoes
The bright red fruits of the following bush tomatoes rarely make it into the kitchen. The little vitamin bombs are eaten long beforehand.
- Balcony star: growth height up to 40 centimeters, seed-resistant, fruits up to 30 grams
- Hoffmanns Rentita: Height 30-100 centimeters, early harvest, fruits 60-80 grams
- Primabell: ideal for the pot with a height of 25 centimeters, fruits up to 30 grams
- Tumbling Tom Red: hanging growth up to 30 centimeters, firm to seeds, fruits up to 30 grams
- Fuzzy Wuzzy: silvery hairy rarity, early harvest from June, growth height 30-40 centimeters
- These varieties deserve the name balcony tomatoes
- Hanging tomatoes - the best varieties
- Round, small, spicy and sweet - delicious cocktail tomato varieties
The presented bush tomatoes not only score with a strong habit, but are also seed-proof. This makes them suitable for hand-held propagation by sowing the harvested seeds, which is not possible with grafted F1 hybrids.
Yellow bush tomatoes
In addition to the red fruits of bush tomatoes, yellow varieties ensure a cheerful play of colors in the garden and on the windowsill. In terms of taste, they are usually a touch milder and sweeter.
- Tumbling Tom Yellow: ideal for hanging baskets, seed-proof, mild fruits up to 30 grams
- Primagold: high-yielding potted tomatoes, up to 25 centimeters high, numerous mini tomatoes up to 30 grams
- Gold Nugget: reaches a height of 80 centimeters, is firm, mildly sweet tomatoes with a thin skin, 10-15 grams
- Snowberry: Growth height up to 100 centimeters, solid, fruits 10-15 grams
There is no doubt that bush tomatoes do not produce as rich a harvest as a mighty stake tomato in the greenhouse. The strong plants make up for this with their low maintenance requirements. This includes, for example, that maxing out is not required.
Tips & Tricks
'Dubok' is traded as the most robust variety among the bush tomatoes. The historic tomato plant comes from Russia and is one of the first to produce many spherical fruits with a diameter of 5-7 centimeters. Thanks to a maximum height of 80 centimeters, it is the ideal candidate for the bucket on the balcony.