Immediate action in the early stage of infestation - water on
If you find out about the pests at an early stage, a targeted shower can put an end to the plague. You should therefore regularly check the underside of the leaves because this is where the lice are first to mischief. How to proceed:
- shower infected mint with as powerful a jet of water as possible
- turn a pot over and rinse the plant upside down
- if the herb plant is too big, protect the root ball from the water with foil
- Fight diseases in mint with natural means
- Fight powdery mildew on mint with natural means
- Correctly diagnose and combat brown spots on mint
You don't have to do anything about the lice that have fallen to the ground. These are unable to climb the plant.
The best home remedies for lice at a glance
The advantage of home remedies lies not only in their environmentally friendly use. In addition, most of the ingredients are already in the pantry. You can read about the three most promising recipes below:
Soft soap solution
- 1 tablespoon soft soap (€ 17.27 at Amazon *) (15 ml)
- 1 tablespoon of alcohol (15 ml)
- 1 liter of water
Put the ingredients in a spray bottle and shake well. Apply to the infested mint every 2 days until the lice have disappeared.
- Several cigarettes without a filter
The cigarettes are crumbled and boiled in water. The tobacco brew is ready when a brown broth has developed. Strain this off and pour the mixture into a pressure sprayer. Usually a single application is enough to put an end to the aphids.
- 1 cauldron with fresh nettle leaves (500 grams)
- 5 liters of water
- a few handfuls of charcoal ash
Pour the water over the nettle in the kettle. Let it steep for 24 hours. The next day, bring the mixture to the boil and simmer for 20-25 minutes. To prevent the unpleasant smell, add the charcoal ash. Once the broth has cooled, it is strained and sprayed onto the mint every 2 to 3 days.
Tips & Tricks
Nettle broth isn't just an effective lice control agent. The mixture is also ideal for organically fertilizing mint. If you decide to use this home remedy, you will kill two birds with one stone. Pour directly onto the root area as a fertilizer from May to August. If aphids appear, the plant is sprayed.