How big should the planter be?
If you only want to use your planter for one plant, it should always be significantly larger than the flower pot in which the plant is delivered. If you plant several plants in one planter, you should leave some space between the individual flowers so that they can spread out.
- Plant a ditch of light
- Plant a cart
- Plant a lava stone
Where should the planter be?
Where the planter should be located depends primarily on the plants you have chosen. Some green plants and herbs do better in partially shaded locations, while many flowers do best in the sun. Here is an overview:
The drainage for the planter
Good drainage is essential, especially if the planter is to be outside and is therefore exposed to rain. A drainage system consists of two parts: the water drain in the bottom of the planter and the drainage layer in the pot.
Plant the planter step by step
What you need:
- Pottery shard or drainage grate
- Expanded clay (€ 17.50 at Amazon *) or mineral granulate
- Drainage felt
- Garden soil or potting soil
- possibly decorative elements
Cover the drainage holes in the bottom of the planter with upwardly curved pottery shards or a drainage grate so that they do not become clogged. Then put a layer of expanded clay or mineral granulate about 5cm high in the bucket.
To prevent the soil from mixing with the drainage layer, you can cover it with a drainage felt.
2. Fill the planter
Fill the planter about two-thirds full with soil and distribute the plants. Then fill in the remaining soil. Leave a pouring margin of about three inches.
Now you can decorate your planter with decorative elements such as stones, roots or figures and / or cover the earth with mulch (€ 213.00 at Amazon *) or pebbles. It looks nice and prevents moisture loss.
The most beautiful design ideas for the planter
You can create true works of art, especially with larger planters. Combinations of green plants or grasses and flowers are classic. But you can also get more creative. Here are a few nice ideas:
- The stone landscape in mini format: With succulents, cacti, larger stones, roots and pebbles, a desert-like mini landscape can be created.
- The colorful splash of color: Combine different flowers of different heights in different colors. Plant the larger ones in the middle. It looks particularly nice if you put hanging climbing plants or ground cover on the edge that grow out and hang down.
- The spring tub: In the spring, put various spring flowers such as daffodils, hyacinths, violets and others in the tub, cover the earth with moss and decorate with Easter figurines.
- House and garden: Do you have a nice toy house, preferably made of wood? Then create a green mini landscape with paths made of pebbles and trees and shrubs made of flowers or mini-shrubs. You can model beds with fine ground cover such as the bobbed head.