Propagate houseleek using daughter rosettes
As a rule, houseleek flowers only once and then dies. However, this only applies to the flowering rosette, because the daughter rosettes previously formed allow the plant to survive. Many houseleek species develop rosettes in the second year at the earliest, and some only after flowering. You can just leave the rosettes where they are and let the plants continue to grow. However, if the new houseleek is to be placed in a different planter or transplanted to another location, you can proceed as follows:
- Gently pull the rosettes apart with your fingers.
- Fill the desired planter with suitable soil
- or prepare the new location appropriately.
- Succulent or cactus soil is very suitable as soil,
- You can also mix the substrate yourself.
- Plant the new rosettes in there
- and pour lightly.
- The plants will take root within a short time and without further care.
- Propagate houseleek easily using cuttings
- Is houseleek poisonous?
- Houseleek loves blazing sun
The ideal time for such a measure is spring or early summer, when the plants are already calibrated for strong growth.
Another possibility is the propagation of houseleek using seeds. Rare species in particular are often only available as seeds or you want to use the seeds obtained from your own plants. Since houseleeks are cold germs, the seeds should be exposed to a cold stimulus in order to break the inhibition of germination. It is best to proceed as follows when sowing:
- Fill small growing pots with a nutrient-poor substrate.
- This can, for example, be potting soil mixed with sand.
- Moisten the substrate with the help of a spray bottle.
- Scatter the very fine seeds on the substrate.
- You can do this with a piece of paper.
- Put the pots with the seeds outside in January / February.
- Protection is not necessary.
- The seeds will germinate with the beginning of spring.
Later you can prick out the young plants and plant them individually.
In contrast to the daughter rosettes, seedlings are not true-to-variety - so if you want to propagate the plants using seeds, there will be one or two surprises in your house!