The long, narrow leaves easily entice cats to play with or nibble on them. Unfortunately, the elephant foot is not only poisonous for cats but also for other animals and small children. It is best to consider this before buying, but at the latest when choosing a location. Make sure that the plant is not in the reach of animals or small children.
- Is the elephant foot poisonous?
- Is the rubber tree poisonous to my cat?
- Is the amaryllis poisonous to my cat?
What symptoms can the elephant foot cause?
The first symptoms of elephant foot poisoning may not be so easy to recognize from the outside, including malaise, dizziness, nausea and fatigue. Visual disturbances, abdominal pain and cramps are also symptoms that can be difficult to recognize. If you suspect your cat is nibbling on the elephant's foot, watch the animal closely.
At the latest when your cat vomits after nibbling on the elephant's foot, you should be careful. Repeated consumption can also lead to chronic bowel inflammation, which is very painful for your pet. If this happens, take your cat to the vet immediately.
The essentials in brief:
- toxic to cats, small animals and birds, but also to small children
- contains saponins
- possible symptoms: malaise, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, abdominal pain, cramps
- can cause gastroenteritis and chronic bowel inflammation
If you have a cat, then do without an elephant's foot or place it so that it is out of reach for your animal.