Interesting facts about beets
The low-calorie root vegetables are rich in vitamins and minerals, among other things. Its red pigments protect the body cells and keep the liver fit. Vitamin C, zinc and selenium strengthen the immune system, while iron and B vitamins stimulate blood formation. The dietary fiber it contains has a positive effect on digestion.
The root vegetables can be prepared in many ways. It tastes good cooked, fried or baked in the oven. The beetroot is also something very special as a raw vegetable, only sprinkled with salt and pepper.
- The beetroot season: when is it time?
- Peel beetroot or cream properly
- Freeze beetroot - only freeze the red tuber when it is cooked
If you would like to stock up, you can boil down the beets very well because they do not lose their good properties. It is essential to wear rubber or disposable gloves and a cooking apron when processing, because the red bulbs stain very strongly.
- Wash the tubers and remove any debris.
- Remove the leaves. Do not damage the tuber in the process, it would bleed heavily in the boiling water. The peel is not removed. The small roots are also best left on.
- Boil the beetroot in a closed saucepan with plenty of water for about an hour.
- Make a test with a wooden stick. The tuber must be easy to pierce.
- When the beet is done, rinse it under cold water.
- Now cut off the leaves and roots.
- Peel off the skin of the beet in strips.
- Divide the beetroot into slices or strips, small balls can also be inserted whole.
While the beetroot cools a little in a closed container, sterilize your mason jars in boiling water or in the oven for ten minutes at 100 degrees. Then prepare the brew for the red tubers.
- Peel an onion and cut it into rings.
- Boil the vinegar and water (ratio 1: 2), salt, sugar and the onion rings in a saucepan.
- Add spices to your liking, such as horseradish, ginger, cloves or mustard seeds.
- In the meantime, put the beetroot in the preserving jars.
- Fill the glasses with the hot brew. Make sure you put a few spices in each jar. The beetroot must be completely covered with stock.
- Boil the jars either in the canning machine or in the oven.
In the preserving machine, the glasses are halfway in the water. Cook them at 90 degrees for about 30 minutes.
In the oven, the glasses are in the water in the drip pan. Also cook them for half an hour at about 100 degrees.
After waking, the glasses rest under a cloth until they are completely cool.