Single leaf also toxic to cats

Single leaf also toxic to cats

The dose makes the poison

The leaves and stems of the plant in particular contain toxic oxalic acid and calcium oxalate. Well, there are certainly cats who nibble on the leaf every now and then and show no symptoms. However, this is not because the animals are immune to the toxins. Instead, they likely simply didn't ingest so much of the toxic greens that the substances in question didn't work. As is so often the case, the dose makes the poison - the single leaf is therefore only slightly poisonous.

also read

  • Single leaf is poisonous to humans and animals
  • Water the single leaf regularly
  • Single leaf has brown leaves or leaf spots, what to do?

Which complaints indicate poisoning?

Nevertheless, it is a good idea to put the sheet away inaccessible to the cat - for example, hanging from the ceiling as a traffic light plant or in a room to which the pet has no access (and actually cannot get in there!). With a little bad luck, the cat can poison itself considerably on the leaf. Possible signs of poisoning are

  • Discomfort or problems swallowing
  • Diarrhea and / or vomiting
  • profuse salivation

If the poisoning is more severe, bleeding in the gastrointestinal tract and kidney damage can also occur. For this reason, if you suspect poisoning, you should see a veterinarian immediately.


There are a number of equally beautiful but non-toxic indoor plants. Therefore give preference to Chamaedorea elegans (mountain palm), Crassula (thick leaf, money tree), Chlorophytum comosum (green lily) or Howea forsteriana (Kentia palm).