Is ornamental asparagus poisonous?

Is ornamental asparagus poisonous?

The plant characteristics

If you receive a potted plant or a bouquet of flowers for free, you often do not even know which plant it is. You can recognize ornamental asparagus by these characteristics:

  • Very delicate foliage.
  • Thorny leaf spur.
  • In optimal location conditions, the plant forms tiny, white single flowers.
  • Small red berries appear after flowering.
  • The growth is more or less upright. The shoots can also grow overhanging.
  • Tuberous thickened root.

also read

  • Is the holly poisonous to humans?
  • The partridge berry is inedible but not poisonous
  • Ivy is poisonous and not suitable for eating

Is Asparagus densiflorus poisonous?

The ornamental asparagus is unfortunately one of the poisonous houseplants. However, it does not contain all parts of the plant, only the small berries, toxins. The leaves and stems, on the other hand, are non-toxic and therefore harmless to pets and children who should nibble on the leaves.

However, the toxicity of the berries should not be underestimated. If humans or animals are consumed by them, symptoms of poisoning such as:

  • Nausea,
  • Vomit,
  • Stomach pain,
  • A headache,
  • Dizziness,
  • general malaise,


Make sure that you position the plant so that children or pets cannot get to the berries. House tigers in particular are very tempted to play with the small, red balls. When rolling through the apartment, however, these can burst and the cat licks up the juice.

If you notice the above-mentioned symptoms in a person or in your pet and you are caring for an ornamental asparagus that is also bearing berries, it is advisable to consult a doctor or veterinarian immediately.


To prevent symptoms of poisoning, you can cut off individual, blooming fronds. If the plant has already produced berries, you should pick them up and destroy them. Be sure to wear gloves when doing this work.