Annual climbing plants - floral heavenly climbers as natural privacy screens
In the near-natural terrace design, walls and fences as privacy screens are frowned upon because they visually overwhelm the area. Instead, annual climbing plants on the decorative trellis are given new honors in the creative design plan. With their rapid growth, they act as a magnificent, natural privacy screen that prevents strangers from looking at you without long waiting times. The following climbers score with a long flowering time and pretty foliage:
- Morning glory (Ipomoea) inspires with huge funnel-shaped flowers and a long flowering period from June to October
- Black-eyed Susan (Thunbergia alata) for the flower-rich terrace planting on the elegant trellis
- Sweet pea (Lathyrus) serves as a natural privacy screen and at the same time gives the gardener beautiful cut flowers
- Climbing snapdragons (Maurandya scandens) trumps with abundant flowers until the first frost
- A living privacy screen as a design element for the garden, balcony and terrace
- Green privacy screen: numerous options for balconies and patios
- Which plants are suitable as privacy screens in the garden? - Tips and the best ways
In contrast, evergreen or hardy climbing plants take plenty of time to grow. Furthermore, the maintenance proves to be demanding with regard to the professional pruning. Until ivy, climbing hydrangeas or rambler roses act as green privacy screens, the gardener's patience will be strained for a few years. For the transition phase, smart ideas are required, such as reed mats and similar privacy protection solutions that you can build yourself.
Nasturtiums - privacy screens with rural charm
A prime example of the romantic terrace planting with flowering climbing plants is nasturtium (Tropaeolum majus). The uncomplicated beauty of flowers has made a name for itself in the design of country house and cottage gardens. With their busy growth, the flexible shoots conquer a climbing aid in no time in sunny and partially shaded locations. The hand- or finger-shaped decorative leaves thrive so densely that you are unmolested on the terrace.
Green privacy screens for the whole year - tips for evergreen patio plants
Plants with evergreen foliage maintain your privacy without seasonal gaps. This has the advantage that the terrace is available to you as a relaxing refuge even on mild winter days, undisturbed by annoying spectators. The focus is on slender shrubs that do not shed their leaves and take up little space in the tub. The following selection presents the recommended types and varieties for permanent terrace planting:
- Firethorn (Pyracantha coccinea 'Red Column') with white flowers, red berries and long thorns; 200-350 cm
- Barberry (Berberis julianae) bears golden-yellow summer flowers and blue berries above evergreen leaves; 200-300 cm
- Cherry laurel (Prunus laurocerasus) is a reliable green privacy screen that does not require extensive maintenance;
- Arborvitae 'Smaragd' (Thuja occidentalis) a slim, natural privacy screen in premium quality; 200-300 cm
- Column veneer 'Fastigiata Robusta' (Taxus baccata) forms a row to form an opaque green wall; 300-400 cm
- Column cypress (Chamaecyparis lawsoniana), evergreen bodyguard for the terrace; 350-400 cm
When caring for this evergreen terrace planting, please note the limited winter hardiness in the tub or planter. Due to the exposed location, the root balls of hardy woody plants are more vulnerable to frost than deep in the garden soil. In winter, wrap the vessels with fleece, foil or coconut mats (€ 116.09 on Amazon *) and slide a thick block of wood underneath.
Fast growing flowering shrubs - natural privacy for the impatient
Evergreen deciduous shrubs grow according to the motto 'hurry with while'. For the intolerant gardener, flowering bushes come in handy, compensating for the deficiency of autumn leaf shedding with rapid growth and abundant abundance of flowers. In the large bucket, the growth rockets are staged under the ornamental shrubs as a natural privacy screen when it is most urgently needed on the terrace at the beginning of the outdoor season.
The model boy in this illustrious circle is the buddleia (Buddleja davidii), which enchants with breathtaking scented flowers from July to October. The butterfly bush presents its picturesque festival of colors with a growth rate of 50 to 150 cm per year, paired with a good-natured cut tolerance.
Filigree guardians of your privacy - grasses as a natural privacy screen
Green privacy screens without a repulsive bulwark character are a particular challenge in successful terrace design. Here the gaze is directed towards tall grasses, the individual stalks of which gather to form an impenetrable wall and yet simulate filigree transparency. We have put together the most beautiful grass species and varieties for you here:
- Chinese reed 'Große Fontaine' (Miscanthus sinensis) natural privacy protection from the first summer; 125-175 cm
- Riding grass 'Karl Foerster' (Calamagrostis x acutiflora) a man-high gem for terrace design; 120-150 cm
- Bamboo 'Jumbo' (Fargesia murielae) thrives in the tub as a green privacy screen for the whole year; 125-180 cm
- Bog pipe grass (Moliniacaerulea) for the opaque terrace design in shady locations; 150-160 cm
Large pots and voluminous flower boxes (€ 13.18 on Amazon *) are equally suitable as planters. As a rule, tall types of grass require a substrate volume of 15 to 20 liters. Care is limited to regular watering and pruning in early spring, in good time before the fresh shoots.
With berry bushes you can conjure up cozy terrace plants with a summery privacy factor. Raspberries, currants or goji berries flourish in the balcony box with an integrated trellis, invite you to have a healthy snack and keep curious glances away.
Balcony privacy screen, anthracite 29.99 EUR Buy at Pötschke Outdoor screen, anthracite 79.99 EUR Buy at Pötschke Balcony privacy screen, cream 29.99 EUR Buy at Pötschke