Mowing the lawn after winter - when does it make sense?
When winter leaves the garden in spring, the lawn is more like a stubble meadow than a velvety green carpet. Whoever rushes to the lawn mower, full of energy, worsens the unpleasant condition of the green area. The following signals can tell you when you can mow the lawn for the first time after the winter break:
- The temperatures no longer fall below the 10-degree mark day and night
- The green area is as dry as possible so that the mower's wheels do not sink in
- The stalk height is 8 to 10 centimeters
- The first early bloomers signal the beginning of the vegetation phase
- When to sow the lawn - All information on timing and sowing
- Repair damaged lawn - it will look like new again
- Burning the lawn - when does it make sense?
Choose a day with overcast weather and mild temperatures. The intense rays of the spring sun should not hit the freshly cut stalks.
Freshly sown lawn - when do you start mowing?
In order to determine when you should mow a lawn after sowing, the height of the stalk is the decisive factor. The young noble grasses only really grow after a certain minimum height and are not torn out of the ground by the mower. If, however, the maximum height is exceeded, the vegetation point shifts upwards, which prevents closed scar formation. The specific type of lawn defines the optimal lawn height for the first cut after sowing:
- Play, sports and utility lawn: 7.0 to 7.5 cm
- Ornamental lawn: 8.0 to 8.5 cm
- Shadow lawn: 10.0 to 10.5 cm
If in doubt, simply measure the height of the grass with the folding rule. Even for lawn experts, it is tricky to correctly assess the current height with the naked eye.
Mowing the lawn in the morning - from what time is it allowed?
Long-lasting summer heat puts the gardener in a bind when he wants to mow his lawn expertly. Mowing in direct sunlight and high temperatures is taboo because the noble grasses are damaged. Thus, the early morning comes into focus as the best date before the sun gains strength. Now the legislature has a say, because the Federal Immission Control Ordinance provides clear guidelines for the time from when lawn mowing is permitted in the morning:
- Petrol mower: Monday to Saturday from 9 a.m.
- Eco-labeled electric mowers: Monday to Saturday from 7 a.m.
- Hand mower: anytime
Please note that the municipalities are free to set special regulations. You should therefore ask the responsible regulatory office as a precaution to avoid conflicts with the neighbors.
Mowing the lawn at the right time is only part of the professional care in spring. After the third or fourth cut, get the growth going with a freshness treatment. Scarifying thoroughly aerates the green area because thatch, moss and weeds are combed out.