Attach the tap
A lot can go wrong when installing a tap on the rain barrel. You often have to seal inaccurate holes with a sealant. First of all, instructions on how to mount the tap on the rain barrel:
- Drill a hole in the bottom of the rain barrel.
- On some models you will find a pre-cut mark.
- Push the tap together with the screw fitting through the hole.
- Tighten the construction with the pipe wrench.
- Seal holes in the rain barrel
- Mount a tap on the rain barrel
- Empty the rain barrel with a hose
If the tap fills the hole exactly, you can put your rain barrel into operation immediately. Unfortunately, this is the case with the rarest of jobs. Often, small inaccuracies result in leaks at the edge of the hole. You seal these as follows:
- Use reducing sleeves from the hardware store.
- If your rain barrel is made of metal, you also need a hemp braid.
- Take a few strands of the hemp braid and wrap them around the thread of the tap.
- Screw the tap together with the strands into the reducer.
- Re-tighten the construction with the pipe wrench.
- Now all you have to do is screw the utensils that carry the water into the tap.
- You can then start a test run.
- If no water is coming out of the tap, your rain barrel is functional.
Note: Hemp braids have a very intense, unpleasant odor when the pack is removed. However, this disappears after a while.