What is urea
Urea is a white, water-soluble substance. It is an excretion product that arises from the protein metabolism of vertebrates. Urea consists of almost 50 percent nitrogen, a value that even high-dose artificial fertilizers cannot achieve.
- Does blue grain work as lawn fertilizer against weeds?
- Home remedy for weeds: potato water
- Klorix against weeds: does it work?
Urea is the most commonly used nitrogen fertilizer worldwide. You can get the agent under the name fertilizer or urea in specialist shops.
Why is nitrogen fertilization used and does it work against weeds?
Nitrogen is known as the "engine of growth" because it has a strong influence on growth, provided that the necessary nutrients are available in sufficient quantities. Well-nitrogenated lawns turn dark green and dense, grow quickly and produce more leaves.
Indirectly, urea can therefore be used to displace weeds, since the other plants thrive better.
What are the side effects?
In the home garden, however, the disadvantages of this fertilizer predominate:
- Urea has an acidic effect on the soil.
- Pure urea fertilizers do not contain any nutrients such as potassium, phosphate or lime. These have to be substituted by other fertilizers.
- This makes targeted fertilization quite complicated for the layperson.
Is urea suitable for weed killing?
Since urea is a fertilizer, the desired effect can be reversed. Instead of strengthening the plants and suppressing weeds, the weeds, which quickly adapt to the conditions, thrive more intensely.
Because of the difficulty of finding the right mixing ratio, you should leave the fertilization of urea to the experts. This is also the reason why this fertilizer is mainly used in commercial cultivation.
How do I get rid of my weeds then?
- Mechanical weeding (weeding) is the most environmentally friendly method.
- You should also stay away from home remedies such as salt when removing weeds, as their use is prohibited by law.
- An effective remedy that works very well is boiling water against weeds.
- To prevent weeds from driving out, a protective layer of mulch is suitable.
Assign weeds to a permanent place in the garden and let them grow there undisturbed. Many weeds are important for the ecological balance, valuable bee food and offer caterpillars a protected place for pupation.