The cherry laurel - non-toxic or dangerous?

The cherry laurel - non-toxic or dangerous?

Unpleasant taste of the leaves

However, the cherry laurel is not very dangerous for humans. The leaves taste unpleasantly bitter due to the glycosides they contain and are therefore usually immediately spat out by children who accidentally nibble on them.

The kernels of the berries contain relatively large amounts of the hydric acidic substance. In order for the toxins to be released, the small stones have to be bitten into when the fruit is consumed. If you swallow the stones whole, the enjoyment will have no noteworthy consequences.

Tips & Tricks

To prevent poisoning, you can remove the flower umbels after flowering so that the cherry laurel does not bear fruit in autumn.