Spring bloomers for the balcony - these plants bloom from March
Those who missed the autumn planting time for bulbs and perennials will find what they are looking for in spring in garden centers and tree nurseries. There is a large selection of early spring flowers available for the balcony box. March is the planting time for the following species and varieties:
- Blue pillow (Aubrieta): cushion flower in beautiful colors with a flowering time from April to May; 5-10 cm
- Candytuft (Iberis sempervirens), the ideal complement to blue pillows with white star blossoms; 15 cm
- Gold Spurge (Euphorbia polychroma) for golden-yellow flowers in a sunny flower box; 25-30 cm
- Pasque Flower (Pulsatilla vulgaris), the native spring perennial with purple shell flowers from March; 20 cm
- Sea of flowers in the balcony box - with these flowers it works
- Planting a Christmas rose in the balcony box - can it work?
- Build balcony box holder yourself - this is how it works
Pansies and horned violets come in magnificent colors with simple and double flowers. The distinctive perennials have therefore emerged as the main actors in the lush flower box (€ 13.18 on Amazon *) for spring. The little beauties are so robust that even late frost nights do not cause them any problems.
Bergenia heralds spring in the shade
You don't have to do without colorful flowers in spring on the shady balcony. Put pre-grown bergenias (bergenia) in the flower box, they welcome spring with pink flowers from April. When the planting time for summer flowers begins in mid-May, transplant the bergenias into the bed so that they will adorn the garden with their beautiful ornamental leaves for the rest of the year.
Think about spring in autumn - bulb flowers for spring
Thanks to increasingly mild winters, the winter planting continues to present itself in all its glory in spring. By providing for fresh spring flowers in autumn, you save the effort of planting in spring. It's easy to do with flower bulbs. In autumn, next to the hardy plants, plant onions of snowdrops, anemones, crocuses, lark spur and snowy shine.
Spring-attractive grasses bridge the waiting time for the flower festival of magnificent perennials with their filigree beauty in the flower box. From the family of sedges (Carex), the mushroom sedge 'The Beatles' and the white-colored dwarf sedge 'Snowline' with their evergreen heads and pretty spikes in spring are perfect as floral avant-garde for the summer.