Coconut milk, what is it exactly?
Coconut products are - apart from desiccated coconut - still not an everyday ingredient in the kitchen in this country. Therefore, the difference between coconut water, coconut milk and coconut cream should be briefly explained here, as they are often confused with one another. This makes it clear what the following text is not only referring to by name.
- Freezing chickpeas is convenient and saves time
- What types of coconuts are there?
- Freezing radish - this only works after cooking
The liquid that is inside the coconut is called coconut water. It is clear, almost transparent.
Coconut milk is white in color and a little thick. It must first be made from the coconut. To do this, the pulp is ground and then squeezed.
The cream that is made from coconut milk is called coconut cream or coconut cream because of its consistency. If coconut milk is left at home for a few days, the cream will settle on the surface by itself.
Coconut milk can be frozen
Coconut milk is usually packaged and sold in 400 ml cans. You can find them in every well-stocked supermarket and in Asian stores. But you can also easily make your own coconut milk from fresh coconut meat or dried coconut flakes.
When cooking with coconut, there is often a quantity problem:
- a can contains far more content than is needed
- the in-house production cannot be done to the gram
- Open coconut milk must be used within two days
Regardless of whether the milk comes from a shop or is self-made, any leftover leftovers can be frozen at any time.
In organic shops, smaller cans of coconut milk are now also being offered.
Weigh and portion appropriately
The coconut milk is usually required in a certain amount, as required by the corresponding recipe. Since coconut milk is difficult to dose when frozen, it should be weighed and frozen in portions. Write the weighed weight on the freezer container so that you can see at a glance whether the amount is sufficient for your cooking project.
Coconut milk in practical ice cube size
If the required amount varies again and again, it is a good idea to freeze the coconut milk in particularly small portions. By defrosting several portions, the desired amount can be put together very easily.
- Fill an ice cube tray with coconut milk.
- Place the container in the freezer for several hours.
- Remove the frozen cubes from the container and collect them in a freezer bag to save space.
Shelf life of coconut milk
There are no exact times for the shelf life in the freezer. However, many experiences show that it can be used for a very long time when frozen.
Cooking with and without thawing
Frozen coconut milk pieces can be added directly to cooking food. Smaller portions, such as the size of an ice cube, can be thawed within 30 minutes. It should be noted that the fatty portion of the coconut milk becomes a bit crumbly when it is frozen. If the milk is heated and vigorously stirred, it will dissolve again.
Conclusion for quick readers
- Canned goods: freeze any leftovers immediately after opening
- In-house production: Homemade coconut milk can also be frozen
- Portioning: If small quantities are required, portioning before freezing makes sense
- Weighing: Weighing the quantities according to the recipes used; label
- Tip: Pre-freeze in the ice cube tray; Store cubes in freezer
- Durability: Experience has shown that it remains durable for a long time
- Thawing: Small portions thaw in approx. 30 minutes; or add to cooking dishes
- Consistency: can become crumbly; Heat if necessary and stir until smooth
The garden journal freshness-ABC
How can fruit and vegetables be stored correctly so that they stay fresh as long as possible?
The garden journal freshness ABC as a poster:
- Order here cheaply as an A3 print for your kitchen
- as a free PDF file to print out yourself