Freeze raw eggplant cubes
If you want to go the easiest way, you dice the aubergines, put them in a freezer bag and then in the freezer. You should make sure that you cut the pieces to the right size for later processing. The cubes should go straight from the freezer into the pan; defrosting the pieces beforehand would turn them into an unsightly pulp.
Please note that raw, frozen eggplants have a shorter shelf life than previously cooked.
- Drying eggplants - this is how you make the fruit durable
- Harvest eggplant
- Eggplant season in the garden or greenhouse
Freeze blanched aubergine slices or cubes
To ensure a longer shelf life, you can blanch the aubergine pieces before freezing. To do this, cut the vegetables into slices or cubes, put them in bubbly boiling water for about three minutes and then fry the aubergines in ice water. If you add ten percent lemon juice to the cooking water, the aubergine pieces will not turn brown. Let the eggplants cool completely before freezing.
Here, too, you should process the aubergine slices or cubes frozen, i.e. not defrost, but directly in the pan.
Freeze baked eggplant
For example, if you want to make hummus or another dish made from eggplant made into mush, you can cook your eggplant in one piece. You pierce the aubergine in several places with a fork and put it on a baking sheet in the 220 ° C oven for at least half an hour. You can now either remove the shell from the soft-cooked aubergine and freeze it in one piece or cut it open, scrape out the pulpy interior and put it in a freezer.
The aubergines cooked in the oven, like the blanched cubes, can be kept in the *** freezer for at least nine months.
Freeze eggplant cooked in oil
Eggplants cooked in olive oil, which can also be frozen, are a particularly aromatic variant. To prevent the slices of vegetables from becoming excessively full of fat, they are prepared in the oven as follows:
- Cut the aubergines lengthways or crossways into thin slices (no more than 0.5 cm thick).
- Place the slices on a baking sheet brushed with olive oil.
- Drizzle some oil over the aubergine slices.
- Put the tray in the 220 ° C oven.
- The slices are cooked when the surface is browned.
- Let the eggplants cool completely.
- The aubergine slices come in a plastic box in the freezer.
The garden journal freshness-ABC
How can fruit and vegetables be stored correctly so that they stay fresh as long as possible?
The garden journal freshness ABC as a poster:
- Order here cheaply as an A3 print for your kitchen
- as a free PDF file to print out yourself