Clean the spinach leaves
In a large pile of spinach there are certainly also some leaves that are no longer perfect. That is why the spinach has to be sorted by hand.
- Remove dead and damaged leaves
- also snap off thick stalks
- Freeze bean sprouts - raw or blanched
- Store spinach - this is how you keep the green vegetables fresh
- What makes the spinach poisonous
Above all, the spinach must be washed thoroughly, preferably several times. Only in this way can the sand, which is often hidden in it, be completely rinsed out.
Freeze raw or blanched?
For a long time, the experts agreed that spinach should only be frozen when it is blanched. But meanwhile there are also different voices that refer to the latest scientific findings. You have three options for freezing the green leaves:
- Put the leaves raw in the chest
- Blanch the spinach
- Freeze cooked spinach
Freeze the raw spinach leaves
Very young and tender leaves in particular are predestined to be frozen using this method. However, they should be freshly picked and dry well after washing before putting them in freezer bags. However, keep in mind that the green color is not retained as nicely as it does after blanching.
Blanch the spinach
- Heat water in a large pot of water.
- Add spinach leaves as soon as the water is bubbling.
- After about two minutes, remove the leaves with a ladle and immediately put them in ice water.
- Drain the cooled leaves in a colander.
- You can also puree or finely chop the spinach before freezing.
- Put the spinach in freezer boxes or bags and seal them airtight.
- Freeze the spinach immediately, but first label the containers.
Blanch large quantities of spinach only in portions, otherwise the boiling water will cool down and the cooking process will be interrupted.
Freeze cooked spinach
Spinach leftover from food can also be frozen without any problems if a few points are observed:
- do not leave it at room temperature for too long
- best to cool in the refrigerator
- then immediately put in the freezer and freeze
Frozen spinach leaves can be kept for a whole year. Ready meals with spinach should be used within three months.
Thaw and warm up
Thaw frozen spinach gently in the refrigerator at low temperatures so that heat-loving germs have no chance of spoiling it. Prepare defrosted spinach as soon as possible.
You can put pureed spinach straight from the freezer into a saucepan and bring to the boil with a little water. A few spices or cream turn it into a tasty side dish.
Conclusion for quick readers:
- Read out spinach: check all leaves; sort out withered and damaged spinach leaves; remove hard stems
- Washing: Spinach often contains sand or soil particles and should therefore be washed thoroughly several times
- Options: Freeze raw after drying; Freeze blanched spinach; Put finished food in the chest
- Blanching: Blanch the young spinach for about two minutes and immediately place in ice water, then drain well
- Advantages: Blanching kills germs, the leaves stay green and the vitamins and trace elements are preserved
- Tip: Blanch large quantities of spinach only in portions so that the cooking water does not cool down in the meantime
- Packaging: Leave the dried spinach whole, finely chop or puree as required; Fill into the freezer container
- Freezing: Immediately label the hermetically sealed containers and place them in the freezer
- Cooked spinach: Cooked leftovers with spinach can also be frozen.
- Important: do not leave food for long at room temperature; Chill in the refrigerator and freeze immediately
- Shelf life: Spinach leaves can be left in the chest for 12 months, cooked food only for three months
- Thawing: Thaw gently in the refrigerator so that no germs can spread. Consume defrosted spinach as soon as possible
- Defrosting: Pureed spinach can be boiled with a little water immediately without defrosting
The garden journal freshness-ABC
How can fruit and vegetables be stored correctly so that they stay fresh as long as possible?
The garden journal freshness ABC as a poster:
- Order here cheaply as an A3 print for your kitchen
- as a free PDF file to print out yourself