So you can enjoy a basil plant for several years
If you are aiming for a perennial cultivation of royal herb, we recommend planting it in a pot. This form of cultivation offers the mobility required to relocate the herb plant to winter quarters. Alternatively, you can put the bucket in the ground in the garden so that it can be easily retrieved at the right time. How to winterize:
- if the temperature falls permanently below 10 degrees Celsius, basil moves
- extensive pruning is not required
- the winter quarters are sunny and warm, at 15 to 20 degrees Celsius
- continue to pour only when the substrate surface is dry
- Fertilize organically and liquid at intervals of 4 to 6 weeks
- Under what conditions can basil overwinter?
- How can Thai basil overwinter?
- Fabulous types and varieties of basil for the hobby garden
The windowsill on the south side of the house is therefore an excellent location for perennial basil. A sun-drenched, heated winter garden is also an option. Under the conditions mentioned, you can continue to harvest fresh basil during the cold season, so that you do not have to rely on preserving the aromatic flowers and leaves.
The best perennial basil varieties
So that the effort of wintering basil is worthwhile, the variety should be selected carefully. The following breeds are particularly recommended:
- 'Wild Pupur' (Ocimum canum x basilicum)
- 'Garden basil' (Ocimum kilimandscharicum x basilicum)
- Russian shrub basil 'Gorbatschow' (Ocimum x basilicum 'Gorbatschow')
- 'African tree basil' (Ocimum gratissium x suave)
- Green-leaved African basil 'African Green' (Ocimum kilimanscharicum basilicum)
The varieties of the trendy Thai basil are also suitable for perennial culture. Although the exotic herb plant comes from the warm regions of Asia, its leaves are remarkably stable.
Tips & Tricks
Perennial basil usually comes from a cross of different varieties. For single-variety propagation, this means that only breeding with cuttings is possible. If you are gaining seeds to sow, it is a guessing game which attributes of the parent and grandparent plants will prevail here.