Pickled plums in vinegar
As an accompaniment to game dishes, for a cold buffet or as a treat on vanilla ice cream, you can pickle plums in vinegar and wine. For an amount of 2 kg of prunes, use the following recipe:
- Boil 250 ml of red wine, 375 ml of red wine vinegar and 1 kg of sugar until the sugar has dissolved. Let the brew cool down.
- Pierce the plums several times with a toothpick and layer them in an earthenware saucepan.
- Pour the cooled wine and vinegar stock over it and put the pot in a cool place for two days.
- After the two days, boil the stock again and let the plums steep in it until the skin cracks.
- Return the plums to the earthenware pot.
- Now you can add spices such as a cinnamon stick and a few cloves to the brew.
- Boil the brew down like a syrup and pour it cold over the plums.
- Seal the pot with foil and let the contents mature in a cool place.
- Storing plums - storage instructions and tips
- Absolutely healthy juice enjoyment: Juice plums
- Stone plums - that's how it works without any effort
Soak plums in rum
Along with strawberries, raspberries and peaches, plums belong in every rum pot. Here, the fruits are layered on top of one another according to their ripening time and repeatedly covered with high-percentage rum. The fruits should soak in alcohol at least until Christmas, until the first tasting can take place.
However, you can also soak plums in alcohol without other fruits. Use washed, perfect fruit and a relatively high-percentage rum (at least 50%) or Armagnac. An earthenware or glass pot is suitable as a vessel for the tipsy fruits.
Recipe for a plum rum pot
4 kg of plums
2 l rum
1 kg of sugar
1 vanilla stick
2 pieces of star anise
First wash the fruit, remove the stems and put them in the earthenware pot. Dissolve the sugar in the rum and then pour it over the fruit. Add the sliced vanilla pod and the star anise. The plums should be completely covered with liquid.
Cover the plum and rum pot with foil and keep it cool until at least Christmas. Stirring occasionally.
Use of rum plums
The delicious fruits are suitable as a topping on ice, on pudding or as an accompaniment to game dishes. They can also be eaten solo. However, the alcoholized plums in particular have an unexpected effect. So enjoy with moderation!
The garden journal freshness-ABC
How can fruit and vegetables be stored correctly so that they stay fresh as long as possible?
The garden journal freshness ABC as a poster:
- Order here cheaply as an A3 print for your kitchen
- as a free PDF file to print out yourself