Is the real gorse poisonous?

Is the real gorse poisonous?

Small legumes form from the delicate flowers. Like all other parts of the gorse, they are poisonous and should not get into children's hands and mouths. Since the taste of the gorse is quite unpleasant, it is probably rarely put in the mouth. Nevertheless, you should be careful.

also read

  • How to care for your gorse - tips and tricks
  • The real Solomon's seal: which parts of plants are poisonous?
  • Is the gorse hardy?

Symptoms of poisoning can also occur in animals. even deaths have occurred in smaller animals. Therefore, gorse should not be planted too close to a fish pond. If flowers, seeds or leaves fall into the water, this could be dangerous for your fish.

Also be careful when pruning plants

You should wear gloves at least when pruning more extensive, because the sap of the gorse is also poisonous. Contact with it can lead to skin reactions. This precautionary measure is particularly recommended for sensitive people and allergy sufferers.

possible symptoms of poisoning by gorse:

  • nausea
  • Vomit
  • Cardiovascular complaints
  • Signs of paralysis
  • Circulatory collapse

Are other types of gorse also poisonous?

All types of the real gorse and also the “false” types of gorse are considered poisonous. Although the composition of the ingredients is different and the concentration of toxins can vary, there is no such thing as a non-toxic gorse. Incidentally, the legumes can also be fatal for (demented) seniors, because they are similar to small beans.


If you would like to plant gorse in your garden, make sure that it is out of the reach of small children and pets.