Pennyroyal is poisonous
The toxin found in all parts of pennyroyal is pulegon contained in essential oil. If the substance is absorbed through the plant, various symptoms of poisoning arise:
- Increase in blood pressure
- Signs of paralysis
- Respiratory paralysis to a standstill
If pennyroyal is accidentally eaten, see a doctor immediately.
In the past, pennyroyal was drunk as a tea to induce abortions. Because of the deaths caused by it and also because of its very rare occurrence, pennyroyal is no longer used as a natural remedy.
The pennyroyal looks very similar to the non-toxic peppermint. The most important distinguishing feature are the stamens that protrude from the flowers of the pennyroyal. Pennyroyal can also be recognized by the hairy throat.