Clay or concrete?
Some materials that are easy to shape can be used to make bird baths. For example sound. But clay requires some knowledge of the material as well as a turntable and kiln. If you are not a hobby or even a professional potter, it is better to start your first attempts in a guided course.
- Build your own bird bath - a useful crafting pleasure
- Make your own concrete bird bath - realize ideas
- Making birdbath from stone yourself - demanding work
It is easier for laypeople to use concrete. With a little skill, you can make beautiful bird baths yourself. They can even be painted individually after drying.
If you want to make a concrete bird bath yourself, go to a hardware store. You can get almost everything there you need to build a bird bath to hang up:
- about 3-5 kg of sand
- Sanding sponge
You can also do the following from your household:
- Cling film
- Oil and brush
- four corks
- thin gloves
Fine dust is blown up when working with concrete. Therefore use a respirator for your own safety. You can also get these cheaply at the hardware store.
Instructions for construction
- Spread out several layers of cling film on a flat surface of around 60 x 60 cm. The layers should overlap a good bit.
- Moisten the sand slightly and put about 2 kg of it on the cling film.
- Shape it into a round dome with your hands. It should be about 25 to 40 cm in diameter. Their height should rise steadily from the edge and at the highest point max. 8 to 10 cm. Add more sand if needed.
- Then use the spatula to make the shape smoother, especially the edges.
- Cover the sand in several layers with foil and then coat it with cooking oil.
- Mix the concrete in a bucket as instructed.
- Carefully distribute the concrete on the sand mound. It should be even and max. 2-3 cm thick.
- Insert the four corks into the concrete. Equally spaced and 2 cm from the edge. You can dip them in oil beforehand.
- Let the mold dry for several days.
- Detach the dried form from the foil and remove the corks.
- Use the sanding sponge to smooth out any sharp edges on the concrete.
- Attach weatherproof ropes to the four holes so you can hang the potions. You are welcome to paint them with suitable colors beforehand.
Make sure that the bowl does not become too big and thick-walled. Concrete is heavy and needs a stable way to hang it up.