Cut off the flower stem, saves energy
After the flowering period is over, daffodils try to produce seeds. Since this costs a lot of energy, it is advisable to spare you this exhausting procedure. To do this, the faded flower stems are cut off at the base.
Better to remove leaves later
You shouldn't be too radical when cutting:
- do not remove the leaves immediately
- For reasons of beauty, cut the leaves off after they have turned yellow
- beforehand, onions draw nutrients from the leaves
- Leaves keep pests away from other garden plants
- Do not fertilize after the leaves have dried up or have been cut off
Tips & Tricks
A light application of fertilizer after cutting the flower stalks increases the nutrient depots of the onion.