Schefflera - how toxic is it?

Schefflera - how toxic is it?

Oxalate crystals make them poisonous

The plant, also known as ray aralia, belongs to the Aralia family and is poisonous in all parts. Since it rarely develops flowers and fruits with seeds, the leaves and shoots are particularly important. These are also poisonous. They contain oxalate crystals.

also read

  • How toxic is the Schefflera to cats?
  • Schefflera - features and claims of this houseplant
  • Cutting Schefflera - when, how, with what and why?

These toxic substances, which can have an irritating effect on mere skin contact, have the following effects on the body when consumed:

  • irritating to the mucous membranes
  • diarrhea
  • Vomit
  • nausea
  • Slackness
  • Gastrointestinal pain
  • Loss of appetite

Put out of reach

If you have pets or small children, you should place your Schefflera where children and pets cannot access or reach the plant. It is toxic not only to humans but also to animals such as cats. Good locations are, for example, on cupboards or hanging from the ceiling in a traffic light.

Don't panic about the care, but caution is advised!

However, the poison cocktail is no reason to panic in contact with this houseplant! If you are one of those sensitive people who react quickly to stimuli, you prefer to wear gloves when caring for the plant directly and especially when cutting!


Although the ray aralia is poisonous, it is a 1 A air purifier. It uses its leaves to filter pollutants such as cigarette smoke and formaldehyde from the air.