Growing indoors ensures the best possible growth on the balcony
It is preferably small-stature varieties that recommend pumpkin as an ideal balcony planting. A magnificent blossom is followed by decorative fruits that attract everyone's attention. Not to mention the tasty autumn harvest. We recommend growing it indoors.
- the ideal start date for sowing is mid / late April
- soak the seeds in lukewarm water for 24 hours
- Fill seed pots (€ 14.90 at Amazon *) with peat sand or coconut flakes
- Insert the seeds 1-2 cm deep and moisten
- When does the pumpkin planting season begin?
- Prefer the pumpkin yourself - benefit from the advantages
- Simply sow the pumpkin
The heatable mini greenhouse offers an exemplary germination temperature of 23-25 degrees Celsius. Alternatively, stretch a sheet of cling film over each potty and place it on the partially shaded, warm windowsill. Germination starts within 8 days. Now carry the vessels to a light-flooded place with cooler temperatures just under 20 degrees Celsius.
Planting time on the balcony
After germination, the seedlings will thrive so quickly that after 4 weeks they will be ready to move to the balcony. It is now mid-May, the ideal time to plant for cold-sensitive pumpkins. A planter with a volume of 60 to 90 liters and a nutrient-rich substrate with plenty of compost should be available.
- Lay a drainage system made of potsherds, perlite (€ 32.90 on Amazon *) or gravel over the water drain in the ground
- Spread a permeable garden fleece over it so that the material does not clog with crumbs of earth
- Fill in the substrate, insert the pumpkin plant in the middle and water it
A hardening phase in the partially shaded, protected location is recommended. The pumpkin then receives its summer residence with as many hours of sunshine as possible. It is welcome here to be warm and airy at the same time so that diseases and pests do not find any target. So that the wandering of the weighty bucket does not cause you sore muscles, place it on a practical plant roller right from the start.
Tips & Tricks
Do not fail to leave a pouring margin of 2-3 cm. There is hardly a more annoying job than wiping up the spilled water-earth mixture from the balcony floor after every watering.