Just don't store at room temperature
Freshly harvested basil brushes its sails particularly quickly if it is stored at room temperature. If the preparation is foreseeable in a few days, the refrigerator can be used for storage. That's how it's done:
- wash the papers under running water
- cut off the ends of the stems with scissors
- Wrap loosely in cling film or a damp kitchen towel
- Freeze Thai basil properly - this is how you preserve the aroma
- Fertilize basil properly for best growth and full aroma
- Cut basil properly - harvest and care for it skillfully
This way you can keep royal cabbage fresh for 3-4 days.
Store basil in the freezer
If you want to preserve freshly harvested basil for 6 to 12 months, the focus is on the freezer. After washing, let the papers dry for 30 minutes and then spread them out on a baking sheet or plate. Pre-frozen in the quick freezer and immediately filled into freezer bags, you can store the aromatic papers in the freezer to save space.
Tips for keeping it fresh in vinegar and oil
The unique aroma can be kept much longer than the freshness in the leaves. Pickled in vinegar or oil, the inimitable basil taste is not lost. This is how the plan works:
- Harvest the basil and clean under running water
- cut off the petioles with clean scissors
- Half fill a bottle or jar with white wine vinegar
- Put a clove of garlic and two handfuls of basil leaves in it
- Fill the vessel with vinegar to just below the rim
- Store tightly closed in a dark place for 8-10 days and strain
It's even faster with olive oil. The prepared leaves go into the food processor, where they are finely chopped. During the process, add 7-8 tablespoons of olive oil. You can keep the basil oil fresh in the glass jar in the refrigerator. Alternatively, fill it into ice cube trays to freeze it.
Tips & Tricks
Basil enters into a surprising partnership with sea salt. Mix the fresh, finely chopped herbs with the salt and dry everything in the oven at 50 degrees. Repeated turning prevents the herb salt from clumping. The result is a basil salt that gives your dishes an inimitable touch.
The garden journal freshness-ABC
How can fruit and vegetables be stored correctly so that they stay fresh as long as possible?
The garden journal freshness ABC as a poster:
- Order here cheaply as an A3 print for your kitchen
- as a free PDF file to print out yourself