How to dry eucalyptus - step-by-step instructions
A note in advance: If you want to use your dried eucalyptus in the kitchen, you should dry it fresh. On the other hand, you can wait a while before drying with a clear conscience if the plant is to continue to live as a drying bouquet or to be made into a dry bouquet. Eucalyptus is an extremely easy-care plant that can be kept in a vase for a relatively long time and loses almost none of its color intensity. This means that you can still enjoy the fresh sight a little before you start drying.
- Drying calabashes - instructions and practical tips
- Drying chili seeds - instructions and practical tips
- Drying arugula - the right method and practical tips
Proceed as follows when drying:
- Take the eucalyptus and cut the branches so that you remove the damp ends.
- Then put the twigs in a small container without water.
- Bring the jar with the eucalyptus to a dry and dark (shady) place. For example, an attic or a cellar are possible.
- Drying can take a few days or even weeks. It is important that you only start processing when the eucalyptus no longer has any residual moisture.
- Never expose the branches with the eucalyptus leaves to the sun. The radiation only ensures that the essential oils are lost.
- You don't necessarily have to put the twigs in a container to dry, but instead tie them tightly with rubber rings and hang them up - again in a dry and dark place.
Continue to use the dried eucalyptus
If you want to use the dried eucalyptus leaves as an ingredient in the kitchen (e.g. for teas or as a special spice), you can leave them in leaf form or cut them into small pieces. It is best to keep the eucalyptus in screw-top jars.
If you strive to create chic decorative items from the dried eucalyptus branches, you have a free hand. Be creative! Great ideas are a modern dry bouquet or a small, upside-down bouquet that both refreshes the air and looks attractive.
The garden journal freshness-ABC
How can fruit and vegetables be stored correctly so that they stay fresh as long as possible?
The garden journal freshness ABC as a poster:
- Order here cheaply as an A3 print for your kitchen
- as a free PDF file to print out yourself