What is the difference between the different types of celery?
Celery, celery, white celery? All these terms refer to the same vegetable: In contrast to celeriac, which is grown in such a way that it develops the strongest possible root, the focus of celeriac is on the parts of the plant above ground. It does not have a strongly developed tuber, but rather strong “sticks” - these are bleached, so they grow without the influence of sunlight, which means that the celery stalks remain light green and mild in taste.
- Celery - tips for planting these delicate garden vegetables
- Always fresh on the table: store celery
- The season for celery is from June to December
Freeze celery raw
If you have to go fast, you can put celery raw in the freezer. Before cleaning it, cut off the roots and the top leaves, and cut the stalks into slices across. This means you have perfectly prepared celery on hand for later processing, which does not have to be thawed and cut before cooking. This would also come at the expense of its crisp consistency.
Put the prepared celery in freezer-safe containers that you have labeled with the freezing date and contents, close them carefully and place in the *** freezer compartment. You should use up raw frozen celery after three months at the latest.
Freeze celery stalks blanched
For a longer shelf life, better consistency and more aromatic taste, you should blanch the celery before freezing. So it stays tasty and long-lasting for up to a year.
- Remove dirt from the celery, cut off the roots and the top leaves.
- Cut the celery stalks into slices.
- Put the celery slices in boiling salted water.
- After three minutes, scoop out the celery with a slotted spoon.
- A short bath in ice water interrupts the cooking process and the celery gets its fresh color.
- Let the celery pieces cool and dry completely.
- In labeled, well-sealed freezer boxes or freezer bags, the celery now goes into the *** freezer compartment.
Thaw and process celery stalks
Depending on how it will be used, you can either defrost the celery gently or add it directly to the dish to be cooked.
Thawing in the refrigerator takes several hours. Put the freezer inside in the sealed container. In this way, the celery stays crisp, is not burdened by harmful germs thanks to the unbroken cold chain and can be used unheated.
When cooking with frozen celery, simply put the celery pieces frozen in the pan or saucepan, where it will cook with the rest of the dish.