Build the foundation
- First mark the course of the wall with sticks and tension with a guideline (€ 4.86 at Amazon *).
- Remove the sod and dig a trench 80 centimeters deep in the width of the wall.
- Use board formwork for sandy soils.
- Carefully compact the subsoil with a pad foot.
- Put around 40 centimeters of gravel in layers into the pit and compress it again and again.
- Mix the concrete so that it is earth-moist and fill the pit.
- Compress the foundation of the garden wall with a pad foot and smooth it out with a square timber using a large spirit level.
It is imperative that you adhere to the material's setting time, which is usually 48 hours. The formwork is then removed. Finally, a layer of bitumen cardboard is burnt on as an additional moisture barrier.
- A garden wall from Ytong - is it possible and how is it erected
- Raise garden wall - this is how you need to proceed
- Designing garden walls creatively - ideas from modern to rural-romantic
The first row of stones must be placed in a mortar bed even with a glued wall. Mix enough mortar to do this, apply a layer about three centimeters thick and set the stones.
Tap it on with a rubber mallet. The bricks must be at the same height and in line. The material should then set for 24 hours.
It continues as follows:
- Apply the special adhesive according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Put some glue on the stone, put the layers of glue on top of each other and press the brick lightly.
- Move the individual rows of stones by ¾ or half. A guide line is stretched for precise alignment.
Finally, the end stones are glued to the top of the wall. The spaces between the cover plates must be grouted so that no moisture can penetrate here either.
Depending on the federal state, there are different regulations as to how high a free-standing garden wall can be. You can obtain information on this from the competent authority. Often the regulations are also available online in the community's development plan.