Grow or buy lemon verbena
If you have a garden or a balcony, you can grow lemon verbena outdoors or in pots yourself. Sow the seeds from February (to March) in well-drained, nutrient-poor soil and make sure they have a place in the sun. From July the plant begins to bloom. Their leaves can be harvested all year round.
When buying fresh lemon verbena, you should make sure that verbena is not offered instead of lemon verbena.
If the botanical names are shown, you can recognize lemon verbena by the name Aloysia triphylla or Verbena triphylla.
Also, make sure that the plants do not have any aphids.
- What care does lemon verbena need?
- The lemon verbena - partly hardy
- Survive ice and snow - the lemon verbena hibernate
Use lemon verbena
The leaves of lemon verbena are used for medicinal and seasoning purposes. As a medicinal plant, it comes in the form of tea
- a headache
- flu-like infections
- to strengthen the nervous system and
- to calm the digestive organs
used. The plant has a wide range of uses in the kitchen. It is used as a spice for the preparation of, among other things
- Seafood and
Dry lemon verbena
If the lemon verbena grows in the garden, you can cut off the first shoots when the shoots are about 10 cm long. However, leave three eyes of the shoot to allow the plant to continue sprouting.
In August the plant has developed so large that you can create a winter supply. Cut the long shoots down to three eyes again and strip off the leaves. To dry the leaves, do the following:
- Lay out a clean piece of cloth or paper on a suitable board and spread out the sheets of paper.
- Make sure that the leaves are not too close together so that a better drying result is achieved.
- Bring the board to a warm, dry and dark place.
- Let the leaves dry for 14 days.
- It is best to fill the dried leaves into dark screw-top jars. Here the dried lemon verbena keeps for about a year.
The garden journal freshness-ABC
How can fruit and vegetables be stored correctly so that they stay fresh as long as possible?
The garden journal freshness ABC as a poster:
- Order here cheaply as an A3 print for your kitchen
- as a free PDF file to print out yourself