Freeze only crisp, fresh florets
If a cauliflower is left lying around for longer, it begins to wither, loses vitamins, its bite and finally its snow-white appearance. This loss of quality is an exclusion criterion when it comes to freezing.
- Pickling cauliflower sour - recipe and instructions
- Store cauliflower properly for optimal shelf life
- Is cauliflower on the diet for dogs?
If you harvest cauliflower from your own bed between June and October, the way to the freezer is short. Cauliflower heads in the supermarket, on the other hand, are not delivered fresh every day. These characteristics give you information about their freshness:
- Leaves are green and plump
- the florets are white and firm
- small spots are visible
- Remove any green leaves, by hand or with a knife.
- Then cut off the stalk.
- Cut the cauliflower head into pieces. The size of the florets should be based on the later use.
- Wash the pieces thoroughly with water.
When you have harvested the cauliflower in the garden, small animals could still be hiding in it. Let the florets stand in salt water for about 30 minutes so that these unwanted residents are flushed out.
Blanching ensures quality
Blanch the cauliflower florets to keep the vitamins, flavor and white hue.
- Blanch for 3 to 4 minutes in boiling water
- an added splash of lemon juice will keep the color
- Rinse the blanched florets in ice water
- Drain the cooled cauliflower on kitchen paper
A useful intermediate step: pre-freezing
Such pre-freezing has proven itself so that the frosty cauliflower florets do not combine into a single lump. For this, the florets are spread out on a flat tray with a little space between them and placed in the freezer for about 30 minutes. During this time, a layer of ice forms around each rose, which prevents them from sticking together later.
Pack in freezer containers and freeze
The pre-frozen florets belong in a freezer bag or freezer can, in which they can be stored safely for a long time. Before the freezer bag is tightly closed, the air should be pushed out with the palm of your hand. If you have a vacuum sealer, you can use it to suck out the air and at the same time seal the bag.
The icy temperature in the chest extends the edibility of the cauliflower to a full 12 months.
Process in the frozen state
When cauliflower is thawed, it has a mushy consistency, which makes it difficult to process. For this reason, cauliflower is put into the saucepan or pan in a frozen state. Frozen cauliflower can be cooked in the microwave as a side dish. The whole process takes about 5 minutes.
Conclusion for quick readers
- Cauliflower and frost: Flawless cauliflower from your own harvest or supermarket can be frozen well
- Signs of freshness: Green, crisp leaves and white and firm florets
- Preparation: Remove the greens and the stalk and cut the cauliflower into florets or finer
- Washing: Thoroughly clean the florets with water and then let them drain on paper towels
- TIP: Put cauliflower from the garden in salt water for 30 minutes; hidden animals are washed out
- Pre-freezing: distribute on tray; put in the chest for half an hour; Pieces won't stick together later
- Packing: Put the pre-frozen pieces in the freezer box or freezer bag; Squeeze out air, close tightly and freeze
- Shelf life: Frozen cauliflower can be stored for 12 months
- Thawing: Thawed cauliflower becomes mushy, so put it in the boiling food while it is frozen
- Cauliflower as a side dish: Put frozen in the microwave and cook in about 5 minutes
The garden journal freshness-ABC
How can fruit and vegetables be stored correctly so that they stay fresh as long as possible?
The garden journal freshness ABC as a poster:
- Order here cheaply as an A3 print for your kitchen
- as a free PDF file to print out yourself