Is my rubber tree poisonous?

Is my rubber tree poisonous?

The easy-care rubber tree is one of the slightly poisonous plants, both for humans and for pets. If possible, choose the location so that the rubber tree cannot be reached by your cat or your toddler.

also read

  • Is the rubber tree poisonous to my cat?
  • Is my antler fern poisonous?
  • Help, my rubber tree has spider mites!

How do I notice poisoning in my child?

Poisoning by the rubber tree usually manifests itself in gastrointestinal upsets such as nausea and vomiting. Diarrhea can occur later. Cramps or paralysis occur when consuming a large amount. However, this rarely happens because the leaves of the rubber tree don't taste good. Most of the time, children instinctively spit out what has been chewed.

If you suspect that your child has bitten a leaf of the rubber tree, give him plenty to drink to dilute the toxins. Lukewarm drinks such as tea or water are best. In no case should you give him milk or provoke vomiting. This would only additionally irritate the mucous membrane of the esophagus. On the skin, the milk-like plant sap can cause skin irritation or an allergic reaction.

Symptoms of poisoning in young children:

  • Irritations of the mucous membranes
  • Gastrointestinal upset
  • nausea
  • Vomit
  • diarrhea
  • when consuming larger amounts: cramps, paralysis
  • Skin irritation or allergic reaction on contact with the milk-like plant sap


If poisoning is suspected, give your child plenty to drink (no milk!) And consult a doctor immediately. In no case should you make the child vomit.