Sow the shiny black seeds
Sowing the seeds is not difficult. But waiting for germination takes patience. First of all, it is important that you use fresh seeds. They ripen around September and are found in the follicles of the peonies. When ripe, the follicles open and present their shiny black seeds.
- Propagate Venus flytrap via seeds or division
- Obtain and move offshoots of peonies
- Propagate gold fruit palm via seeds or cuttings
After the harvest, the seeds are best sown immediately:
- Fill the seed tray or pot with nutrient-poor, sandy soil
- Sow seeds about 1 cm deep
- put outside in the open e.g. B. in the garden or on the balcony
- need a longer cold spell
The seeds can take up to 2 years to germinate. Immediately after emergence, the seedlings must be pricked out. This is usually the case in March / April. Another disadvantage of sowing is that with shrub peonies, flowers on the sown plants can be expected for the first time after 7 years. With perennial peonies it takes 3 to 4 years.
Division of perennial peonies
The division of the perennial peony is not about rejuvenation, but only about reproduction. The division can take place towards the end of July / beginning of August. But the timing is also perfect in autumn and spring. It is important that only older plants are divided and that the division never takes place during flowering.
Step by step:
1. Carefully dig up the peony.
2. Separate the roots with a spade.
3. Plant the roots separately from each other.
4. A suitable location is sunny and sheltered from the wind.
5. Pouring on.
Multiply shrub / tree peonies using cuttings
Paeonia lutea, delavayi and rockii can be propagated well using offshoots or cuttings. It works like this:
- Choose half-ripe shoots that are lignified at the base
- separate from the end of August
- Shorten to a length of 10 to 15 cm
- remove lower leaves
- Insert the cutting 3 cm deep
- keep moist
- Rooting time: several months
Propagate shrub peonies through grafting!
Refinement is also possible with the shrub peonies. If you choose to do this, you should know this:
- Result: same characteristics as the mother plant
- first bloom after 2 to 3 years
- Graft the appropriate shoot onto the roots of a shrub peony
- plant in humus-rich, well-drained soil
- Planting depth: at least 10 cm
Often a cold stimulus from one winter is not enough for the seeds, but a second winter is necessary. Because of this tediousness, sowing is not recommended.