Organic quality is a must
Conventional fruit has a lot of residue from pesticides and other agricultural chemicals on its skin. If only the inside of the orange is eaten, that may still be acceptable. They have no place on bowls that are used in the kitchen.
- Drying fresh walnuts - but in the tumble dryer?
- Drying plums: It's that easy
- Simply dry tomatoes - three ways to get dried tomatoes
Pieces, zests or grated?
The shell can be brought to the required size or grated before drying.
- small pieces of bowl look decorative in tea
- grated shells are ready for baking pleasure
- Long orange zest are ideal for a scented pot pourri
The three ways to a successful drying
There are three possible alternatives for drying orange peel:
- Air drying
- Drying in the oven
- Drying in the dehydrator
Orange peel can also be dried in the microwave. Since this type of drying is not particularly gentle with the delicate orange aroma, it should only be an exceptional case.
Spread the bowls out on a wooden board and place it in a warm but dry place. Turn the shells every now and then. After a few days they will be completely dry.
You can also cut out motifs from orange peel, e.g. B. Stars or Hearts. So that they do not curl when drying, they should be placed between two layers of kitchen paper and weighted down with another wooden board.
Drying in the oven
Larger pieces can be dried faster in an oven.
- Heat the oven to 50 ° C.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Spread the orange peel evenly on top.
- Place the tray in the middle of the oven for 2-3 hours.
- Leave the door open a little to allow moisture to escape.
Drying in the dehydrator
The washed, dried and chopped up peel is distributed evenly in the dehydrator. There it dries out at 50 ° C for about 2-3 hours. If you can crumble the peel with your fingers, it has reached the optimum level of dryness.
Shelf life and storage
Dry orange peel will retain its aroma for at least two months in a tightly fitting can.
The garden journal freshness-ABC
How can fruit and vegetables be stored correctly so that they stay fresh as long as possible?
The garden journal freshness ABC as a poster:
- Order here cheaply as an A3 print for your kitchen
- as a free PDF file to print out yourself