Decorative lupins are poisonous to humans and pets

Decorative lupins are poisonous to humans and pets

The seeds in particular are poisonous

Ornamental lupins should not allow leaves or seeds to enter the human or animal organism. Only wild animals can tolerate lupine alkaloids and show no signs of poisoning after consumption.

The exact amount at which the toxic effect begins is not known. It can be assumed, however, that consuming just one pod causes considerable discomfort.

As a result, lupine poisoning becomes noticeable

  • Restlessness
  • paleness
  • sweat
  • Vomit
  • Shortness of breath
  • Cardiac arrest

If parts of the lupine were accidentally ingested, the affected person should drink plenty of water. If a whole pod or more has been consumed, medical attention is necessary.

The doctor makes sure that the poison gets out of the body and also gives charcoal tablets to bind the pollutants. If the victims are pets, the veterinarian on duty should be contacted immediately.

If there is any suspicion that parts of lupins have been ingested, relatives should contact one of the poison control centers.

Do not let seeds ripen

The greatest danger comes from the seed pods, which have a fascinating effect on children.

Therefore, always cut off faded inflorescences immediately so that pods cannot develop in the first place.

Tips & Tricks

The sweet lupine, which is grown as a protein-containing food, is not poisonous in contrast to the ornamental lupine. The content of alkaloids was reduced to a safe level through breeding.