The ideal location for tree lilies
The tree lily thrives both in the sun and in partial shade. It feels most comfortable when the head gets a lot of sun while the roots are more shaded. This way the plant does not dry out and at the same time it can develop its flowers in the sun. You can also cultivate the tree lily very well in the tub on the terrace or balcony.
- Can I transplant my tree lily without any problems?
- Can I cultivate a tree lily in a tub?
- How to care for the fire lily - tips and tricks
Water and fertilize tree lilies properly
You don't have to water your tree lily very much, it is quite frugal. Water either early in the morning or in the late afternoon to prevent pest infestation. The tree lily has a relatively high nutrient requirement during growth and flowering, so it should be fertilized regularly.
How do I overwinter the tree lily?
The tree lily is definitely considered to be hardy, but it can use a little protection from frost. Cover the onion with some leaves, sticks or bark mulch to prevent it from freezing. It is also possible to spend the winter in a dry, dark and cool cellar room. This is particularly recommended if you want to transplant your tree lily in the next year.
Diseases and pests of the tree lily
Unfortunately, tree lilies are a delicacy for voles and lily chickens. You should definitely collect the small red beetles or fight them with predators (lacewing larvae, parasitic wasps) before they damage your plants too much. Planting in a wire basket, on the other hand, keeps voles away.
The essentials in brief:
- ideal location: partial shade
- Soil: loose and permeable, no waterlogging, slightly acidic to neutral
- Place onions about twice as deep as their diameter
- hardy, with protection for the bulb, but early leaves are susceptible to frost
- Alternative: overwinter in a cool, dark and dry place
- first bloom after approx. 3 to 5 years
- susceptible to lily chickens, gray mold rot and voles
To protect your tree lily from voles, it is best to place the bulbs in special planters or close-meshed wire baskets.
Tree-Lily® 'Pretty Woman' 6.85 EUR Buy at baldur Tree-Lily® 'Altari®' 6.53 EUR Buy at baldur Tree-Lilies®-Collection 14.67 EUR Buy at baldur