Creating order and planning in a targeted manner - that's how it works
Before you redesign your garden, we recommend doing a major cleaning. Eliminate all legacy issues that have long been a thorn in your side. This includes work such as clearing dead trees, pulling weeds, mowing the lawn and pruning shrubs, hedges and trees. A clean, tidy area reveals all the potential for a successful garden redesign.
- Design a garden according to Feng Shui - this is how it works
- How to design a garden on a hillside - tips & tricks for a garden on a hillside
- Create an easy-care garden - this is how a relaxing retreat succeeds
Then take a seat in the middle of the garden and let your ideas run free. As a suggestion, we have compiled popular ideas for a garden redesign for you:
- Easy-care garden with robust shrubs and evergreen ground cover instead of demanding lawn
- Cottage garden with a colorful mixed culture of colorful flowers and crisp vegetables
- Redesign the garden according to Feng Shui into a spiritual refuge
- Japanese garden, as a stylish interpretation of Asian garden art with stones and gravel
Once the decision has been made, create a true-to-scale plan drawing. Do not only note the size of the individual beds, but also the nature of the soil and the lighting conditions. This results in a detailed planting plan that gives your horticultural dreams concrete forms.
Garden remodeling begins - the starting shot will be given in April
Autumn and winter are the ideal times for preparation and planning. After cleaning up in autumn, you can prepare the garden soil by incorporating 3 to 5 liters of compost per square meter. During the leisurely winter time, devote yourself to the floor plan and planting plan. You can often get building materials, garden furniture and decorative items at bargain prices in winter.
When winter finally passed in April, garden centers and tree nurseries have a large range of young plants ready. The time window remains open until October to pave paths, build a new gazebo and create the pond. For a smooth process, please coordinate construction work and planting times. We have summarized the most important dates for you here:
- Sowing the lawn: April and May or September
- Planting time for perennials and woody plants in the container: during the entire growing season
- Planting time for bare-root shrubs and trees: October to March
If you redesign your garden, you can noticeably relieve your budget by growing plants yourself. You should therefore sow flowers, shrubs and vegetables on the windowsill from February to plant the young plants from April / May.
In every garden redesign, the ecologically oriented gardener reserves niches and corners as places of retreat for beneficial insects. An upside-down flower pot filled with wood wool provides a safe home for insects. A cat-safe hedgehog house helps the cute spiked bearer through the winter. Mixed flowering hedges bear fruit in winter, which are a vital source of food for birds.