How to properly cut a standard trunk
Nobody plants gooseberries as high stems in their garden just for a decorative appearance. The main interest lies in an abundant harvest of juicy berries. Targeted pruning makes an essential contribution to this. Otherwise, a gooseberry sapling will grow old within a short time. Follow these instructions to keep the pleasure of delicious fruits for many years:
- the best time for shape and maintenance pruning is in February or March
- clear out all too close, rubbing and dried up shoots
- With the exception of 5-7 leading branches, cut off all branches growing towards the ground on astring
- Leave 2-3 strong side shoots per guide branch and shorten the others down to 2 eyes
- This care revitalizes your gooseberries
- How to Properly Cut Gooseberries
- Cleaning the gooseberries - how to do it right
The central premise for the successful pruning of gooseberries tall stems is the observance of the growth properties. This fruit tree blooms and always produces fruit on the long shoots from the previous year. The strongest specimens should be kept as possible and only minimally shortened, if at all. Create a harmonious crown that is airy. Vitality is only guaranteed when the sun and light reach all areas.
Courageous rejuvenation cuts save bald tall trunk
If the annual pruning of a gooseberry high stem is missed, the penalty follows immediately. The plant grows old and only bears poor fruit. A rigorous taper cut will help. How to do it:
- the entire crown is trimmed down to a maximum of 5 leading branches
- cut off any bald shoots at the base
- Shorten the selected leading branches to 2 eyes
The aim of this measure is to lure new shoots from above the grafting point. For this purpose, remove all parts of the plant that use unnecessary energy and do not contribute to a new crown.
Tips & Tricks
Tired of getting bothered by thorns while cutting gooseberries? Then use pruning shears for the pruning. Thanks to the long handles, you keep the scratchy fruit trees at a distance and can concentrate fully on the perfect cut.