What are light germs?
All plants whose seeds only sprout when exposed to light are called light germs. The seeds must therefore not be covered with substrate or only very thinly covered.
- The marigolds, a light germ
- The heyday of the marigolds
- The ideal location for the marigolds
For this you need these tools:
- Flower pots or growing trays
- Special potting soil
- A sprayer filled with water
- Clear plastic bags or a growing hood
- Daily seeds
Now it's time to sow:
- Pour potting soil into the vessel and press down lightly.
- Moisten the soil with the spray bottle but do not soak it.
- Spread the daily seeds and press gently.
- Sprinkle with some water. Be careful not to wash away the tiny seeds.
- Cover the container with the hood or the plastic bag to create an artificial greenhouse climate.
- The ideal location is a warm, bright but not full sun place on the windowsill.
- Ventilate daily to prevent mold and rot.
Under these conditions, the cotyledons show up after one to two weeks. Once the small marigold plants have formed the second pair of leaves, the seedlings have to be separated
Prick the marigolds
The densely sown marigolds must be pricked out so that there is enough root space available for each plant. If you omit the isolation, only the strongest seedlings will prevail.
For this you need:
- A wooden or special pricking stick
- Lots of small flower pots
- Potting soil mixed with sand.
- A sprayer with water
- Fill pots with substrate, press down.
- Moisten the earth.
- Use the prick stick to make a hole in the substrate.
- Carefully lift the marigold plant out of the seed container with the prick stick.
- Insert the plants and carefully press the soil down so as not to damage the sensitive roots.
- Moisten again with the sprayer.
Since the marigold is quite sensitive to frost, the small plants may only be transplanted into the field when there is no longer any threat of frost.
Gradually get used to the changed conditions and place the flower pots with the young plants on the balcony or terrace only during the day.