When is the best time to reseed lawn seeds?
There are primarily two dates a year that are recommended for reseeding:
- In spring, when in March / April the lawn does not recover from the rigors of winter
- In autumn, when summer stress is reflected in gaps, holes and bare spots
- Repair damaged lawn - it will look like new again
- How to care for your lawn in spring - tips and tricks
- The ultimate lawn - sow and maintain English lawns
In principle, all months of the growing season are eligible for reseeding, as long as there is no brooding summer heat or it has frozen for the first time in autumn.
Professional preparation of the floor - this is how it works
It is worthwhile to prepare the lawn specifically for reseeding. If you simply spread grass seeds on the rag rug, you shouldn't be surprised if the delicate seeds don't germinate. This is how you perfectly prepare the lawn for receiving the seeds:
- Mow the grass area about 2 centimeters short
- Scarify lengthways and crossways to a depth of 3-5 millimeters
- Work on individual spots on the lawn with the hand scarifier (€ 76.01 at Amazon *)
- Remove all combed out moss and weeds
The scarifier not only removes the thatch, but also loosens the sward with its rotating blades. In addition, in this way the remaining grass stocks are to be weakened somewhat in terms of their competitive strength so that the young seedlings can establish themselves. This form of preparation makes laborious digging of the entire lawn or the bare areas superfluous.
Aeration improves the chances of success
If reseeding is used to repair the entire lawn, experienced hobby gardeners will take an intermediate step after scarifying. The sod is thoroughly ventilated with the help of an aerator. This is particularly advisable if soil compaction is responsible for bald spots. How to proceed:
- Hole the lawn with a manual or mechanical aerator
- Press the high soil nails into the sward at a distance of 15-20 centimeters
- Remove the earth that has been pushed out from the lawn
Before reseeding, the lawn is sanded. To do this, distribute half a bucket of fine-grain quartz sand per square meter (€ 14.90 on Amazon *) to sweep it into the holes with a rake or broom. In this way, the lawn also receives drainage, which effectively counteracts further compaction.
The best lawn seeds for reseeding - an overview
The exemplary preparation of the battered lawn for reseeding is only crowned with a satisfactory success when the suitable lawn seeds are used. Forward-looking hobby gardeners therefore keep a supply of seeds after the new plant. Where there is no longer any stock, the focus is on what is available on the market. The following overview presents proven seed mixtures for lawn repair:
|Lawn seeds for reseeding||Loretta Repair Lawn Seeds||Kiepenkerl Profi Line Complete||Ecostar youth work||GF Regeneration Grass||Wolf Garten Turbo overseeding||Neudorff completely|
|category||Utility and decorative lawns||Sports, play and landscaped lawns||all types of lawn||all types of lawn||Sports and play lawns, golf courses||Utility and decorative lawns|
|Location||sunny to partially shaded||sunny to partially shaded||all locations||all locations||sunny||sunny|
|Sowing rate||20 g / m²||20 g / m²||40 g / m²||30 g / m²||20 g / ²||400 g / m²|
|advantages||no start-up fertilization required||also closes larger gaps||high resilience||cheap in price||natural germ accelerator||with living microorganisms|
|disadvantage||slow growth||weak germination||low density||low load capacity||hesitant to no germination||high consumption|
|price||23.00 euros / kg||18.00 euros / kg||4.00 euros / kg||3.10 euros / kg||15.20 euros / kg||12 euros / kg|
The much-touted lawn repair kits have not yet proven themselves in practical tests. The complete mixtures of lawn seeds, special substrate and fertilizer are not a sensible combination. In the classic cultivation of plants, hobby gardeners use nutrient-poor substrate to support germination. Precisely the fine lawn seeds are supposed to germinate as lawn pavement in direct contact with mineral-organic fertilizer - which of course happens only very slowly.
The perfect reseeding - step-by-step instructions
Regardless of whether you re-sow lawn seeds in spring or autumn, the procedure after the preparatory work is as follows:
- Compensate for unevenness on the surface with a mix of garden soil and sand
- Spread the lawn seeds by hand or a spreader
- Using a rake, work the lawn seeds lightly into the ground and roll them
- Only thinly sieve the light germs with sand or special turf soil
- Last but not least, sprinkle the overseeding with the sprinkler
The reseeding by hand is nice and even if you weigh out a handful of lawn seeds beforehand. This will give you a feel for the correct dosage. As part of a full-area reseeding, ideally spread the seeds in a checkerboard pattern, one lengthwise and one crosswise.
Always keep an eye on the weather report
The reseeding of lawns differs only slightly from the cultivation of young plants by means of sowing. The light and temperature conditions have a significant influence on the successful germination process. For lawn seeds, this means that you should consider the weather forecast before starting work, both in spring and autumn. These weather conditions ensure rapid germination of lawn seeds:
- There are constant temperatures of at least 8-10 degrees Celsius
- Neither a period of drought nor continuous rain are to be expected
- In autumn, the first frost should be at least 4 weeks away
Lawn seeds master the critical phase up to germination even better if they are applied in conjunction with the Vermiculite seed helper. The fine-leaved silicate supports the even distribution and protects the seeds from harmful weather influences. Since the tiny platelets reflect the light and store water, the lawn seeds are well protected from drying out.
Proper maintenance after lawn repair
The lawn seeds usually emerge after 8 to 14 days. They must not dry out during germination, so regular watering is a top priority. If the tender grasses sprout everywhere on the surface and close all gaps, then this care is important:
- After the seedlings emerge, fertilize the lawn for the first time
- Then sprinkle repeatedly until all the fertilizer grains have rained in
- When the grass has reached a height of 8-10 centimeters, it is mowed
- Do not mow deeper than 5 centimeters for the first cut - 7 centimeters for shady lawns
The experts are increasingly moving away from simultaneous reseeding and fertilization. In order to get seeds of any plant species to germinate, a lean, nutrient-poor environment must be created. In this way, lawn seeds are encouraged to make an effort in search of food. If, however, the nutrient table is richly set right in front of the front door thanks to fertilization, there is no reason for the seeds to develop strong roots.
If you fertilize the overseeding with a potassium-accentuated preparation in autumn, this prudence contributes significantly to strengthening the winter hardiness of the lawn. If the pH value requires the application of lime beforehand, it is advisable to leave 2-3 weeks between the two maintenance measures.