A selection of recommended varieties
If you keep an eye out for everbearing strawberry plants, they can be found in stores as young plants or seeds, mostly under the name of monthly strawberries and wild strawberries. The following premium varieties spoil you with small, extremely aromatic fruits throughout the summer:
- Frapendula: an excellent variety for the traffic light, it thrives on the balcony and in the winter garden
- Wädenswil: First to deliver lots of sugar-sweet strawberries, does not develop runners
- Ostara: a leading variety among the monthly strawberries, well suited for freezing
- Amandine: an interesting new breed with elongated fruits
- Forest queen: beautiful white flowers and deep red strawberries, good for preserving
- Hanging strawberries - great varieties and well-founded planting tips
- Can my dog eat strawberries?
- How do strawberries benefit from bark mulch?
Everbearing strawberries have excellent ground cover qualities. In this regard, the Red Panda, Florika and Spadeka varieties have made a name for themselves. Thanks to their strong and numerous tendrils, they transform even large areas into a heavenly strawberry meadow.
Useful tips for proper care
A balanced water and nutrient balance forms the basis for a splendid growth and a rich harvest. Everbearing strawberries are watered evenly, whereby the surface of the earth should always dry out. Do not water according to a fixed schedule, but always after a thumb test. To do this, press your thumb into the substrate. If you only feel the moisture at a depth of 4-5 centimeters, it is time for the watering can.
Since monthly and wild strawberries are cultivated for several years, they get their main fertilization immediately after the harvest. There is another dose of fertilizer in spring, just before flowering. The first flowers should be broken out to increase the harvest yield. If the fruit set forms, mulch with straw or bark mulch. In this way you protect the strawberries from dirt and disease.
Tips & Tricks
Do you love strawberries and raspberries equally? Then just plant the strawberry-raspberry. After a wonderful, white bloom in spring, you can harvest the delicious fruits here from summer to autumn. These are bigger than raspberries and taste as sweet as strawberries.