What is essential when pouring?
The desert rose needs plenty of water, especially in spring and summer. At this time she builds a water supply in her trunk. In autumn and winter, a more economical water supply mimicks a dry period that the plant needs.
- Desert rose: after winter is the time to repot!
- A milky sap that makes the desert rose poisonous ...
- Desert rose: wintering properly is not difficult!
Note the following aspects:
- let the substrate dry before the next watering
- never keep it wet for a long time (especially real-root specimens do not tolerate waterlogging)
- The trunk is firm and plump: there is enough water
- The trunk is soft and limp: the plant draws from its own reserves (lack of water)
How often and with what should you fertilize the desert rose?
Fertilize the desert rose from April and into September! The interval between fertilizers should be 2 weeks. Cactus fertilizer is well suited for fertilization. You should be careful with flower fertilizer (€ 13.27 on Amazon *)! Use such fertilizers sparingly or dilute them heavily!
Why does the desert rose need to be overwintered?
In winter, the light conditions in this country are insufficient for the desert rose. Therefore you should put them in a cooler place. A cool overwintering causes the plant to go into a dormant phase. This is important so that the desert rose can bloom powerfully again in the coming season.
How do you handle the plant during its dry phase?
Winter time is dry season:
- water less from September
- from November cooler
- well suited: partially shaded locations with temperatures between 10 and 15 ° C
- no longer fertilize
- from April warmer and lighter
Does the desert rose need pruning?
A pruning is only necessary if your desert rose has grown too big for you. The pruning can be done either between February and March or in July. The shoots can be cut back in half. Make sure to place 3 to 5 mm above an outward-facing bud!
How often and when do you have to repot?
Due to the slow growth of this plant, which is preferably cultivated in pots, repotting is rarely necessary. Repotting makes sense every 3 to 5 years. Choose a jar that is about two to four inches wider than the old one.
You should consider:
- Repot in the spring before the new shoots
- or repot after the first flowering in early summer
- cut off old, rotten roots with a knife
- Do not water after repotting
- wait at least 4 weeks before cutting
Don't worry if the desert rose loses some of its leaves in winter. It's a completely normal process.
Desert rose 'Red' 15.69 EUR Buy at baldur Desert rose 'Noble Concubine' 15.69 EUR Buy at baldur Aloe vera & Desert rose red at the special price 22.07 EUR Buy at baldur