Cuttings or seeds?
Growing eucalyptus from cuttings is not particularly recommended. Growing from seeds promises much more success. You can get these at the nursery, although you should look for rainbow eucalyptus seeds on the internet. The tree is considered very exotic and is therefore not represented in every range. Do you already own a rainbow eucalyptus? Then of course you can also take the seeds from the existing plant.
- Cultivate the rainbow eucalyptus as a bonsai
- Pulling eucalyptus over cuttings?
- How do you propagate a eucalyptus?
So that the rainbow eucalyptus can develop well, a specially mixed substrate is an advantage. To do this, choose
- Potting soil
- Coconut humus
- Ordinary sand
- or peat
It is particularly important that the substrate is permeable. Waterlogging damages the rainbow eucalyptus.
- Fill a nursery pot with a mixture of the soil species mentioned above.
- Place the seeds on the surface and only press them very lightly.
- Keep the growing soil moist.
- Place the cultivation vessel in a sunny place at a temperature of 20-25 ° C.
- In contrast to conventional eucalyptus, in which the germination time usually takes several weeks, the rainbow eucalyptus germinates after five days.
- When the shoots have reached a length of about 10 cm, transplant the rainbow eucalyptus into a larger container.