This preparatory work is what counts
Regardless of the preferred drying method, the Melisee should be properly prepared. Since it always loses its aroma when dried, you can effectively counteract this deficiency with the following preparatory work:
- Always harvest lemon balm shortly before flowering
- ideally the morning dew has only just evaporated
- cut the shoots 10-12 centimeters above the ground
- use freshly sharpened, disinfected scissors or a knife
- Better to dry or freeze lemon balm?
- Is Lemon Balm Edible?
- This is how easy it is to make lemon balm durable
Rinse the harvested branches under cold running water. Damaged plant parts are carefully sorted out. Then spread the melisee on a kitchen towel, where it dries for 1 day.
How to air dry lemon balm
Air-drying herbs is one of the classic gardening methods. The advantages are obvious, because the procedure is uncomplicated and free of charge. How to dry lemon balm:
- Defoliate the prepared stems in the lower area
- Tie together with a bast ribbon or elastic twist
- Do not pull the binding material too tight
You thread the small bouquets on a string or wire. Suspended in a rain-protected, dark place, the Melisee dries within 14 days. During this time, check the fragrant bundles to sort out moldy specimens immediately.
This is how melisee is dried in the oven
If you prefer to have your lemon balm dried overnight, you can use the oven. Spread the prepared twigs on a baking sheet so that they do not touch. The process is somewhat more space-saving if the leaves are picked and distributed individually. How to proceed:
- Preheat the oven to 80 to 100 degrees Celsius
- switch off the appliance and insert the baking tray
- Leave in it for a day until the melisee has dried
Your healthy supply of the versatile herbs and medicinal plants is stored in dark, airtight containers.
Lemon balm can be dried in a jiffy in the dehydrator
Dried lemon balm has a reputation for lacking flavor. This claim cannot be completely dismissed in view of the lengthy drying process. With a dehydrator, this phase can be shortened significantly to a few hours. This is accompanied by a noticeably lower loss of flavor. How to do it right:
- Spread the cleaned leaves on the sieve bases in the dehydrator
- place next to each other and do not stack
- set the device to a gentle 30 degrees Celsius
After 6 to 8 hours, the rich leaves are so dry that they rustle. You can force the process by turning the lemon balm every now and then. Don't be tempted to turn the temperature regulator higher. The drying is faster, but the loss of aroma increases proportionally.
Tips & Tricks
Does the waiting time for the harvest to dry get on your nerves? Then brew a lemon balm tea. Hildegard von Bingen swore by a calming effect. Simply put 3 teaspoons of leaves in a cup and pour a quarter of a liter of boiling water over them. Let it steep for 10 minutes, strain and enjoy.
The garden journal freshness-ABC
How can fruit and vegetables be stored correctly so that they stay fresh as long as possible?
The garden journal freshness ABC as a poster:
- Order here cheaply as an A3 print for your kitchen
- as a free PDF file to print out yourself