Plan the vertical garden
Before you start creating your vertical garden, you should be aware of the following questions:
- Should the vertical garden hang or stand and is the wall behind it stable?
- Where should the vertical garden be set up or attached and what are the lighting conditions here?
- Do you want a vertical garden with an automatic irrigation system?
- Do you want an edible vertical garden or should it be purely decorative?
- Do you want to build your own vertical garden?
- Create a vertical garden indoors
- Vertical garden with vegetables and herbs
- Beautifying a tree trunk - ideas for indoors and outdoors
Build it yourself or buy it?
If you want to create a professional vertical garden and do not want to worry about daily watering, you should use a ready-made system from specialist retailers. Prices start at around € 150 for small models and range up to several thousand euros for cladding entire house walls.
If you'd rather do it yourself, here is a simple variant using a PVC pipe and in this guide we explain how to build your vertical garden from pallets.
Vertical gardens in the indoor area
In indoor vertical gardens, make sure that the vessels are 100% airtight so that neither the walls nor the floor get wet or dirty. Therefore, closed vessels such as glasses or plastic bottles or containers are a good choice here. However, if you do not have drainage, you must not over water your plants, as the excess water cannot run off.
The wall behind the wall garden should always be provided with waterproof protection, e.g. from pond liner or a coat of waterproof paint.
Vertical gardens in the outdoor area
Creating a vertical garden is a little easier outdoors. Not only do you have significantly more plants to choose from, you also don't have to be very careful about the tightness. Outdoor wall gardens are often also used for growing fruit and vegetables. Herbs, strawberries, lettuce and other small vegetables, for example, thrive in the vertical garden on the balcony or terrace. More information about the vertical garden on the balcony can be found here.