Pouring - a demanding job!
A gentian tree will challenge you in every way to care for it. We should start watering first, because this shrub is a science in itself. You have to pay attention to the temperature, pouring interval, amount of water and water quality. Here are the details:
- Pour only with low-lime water
- z. B. with rainwater or filtered tap water
- Water must be at room temperature
- The root area must be kept moist throughout
- Avoid dryness and wetness
- pour with small portions, but more often
- Water as required and depending on the weather
- plentiful in summer, only few in winter
- Water potted plants more often than outdoor plants
- Solanum rantonnetii - Safe wintering of the gentian bush
- Solanum rantonnetii - gentian bush is not hardy!
- Gentian bush: tips for proper care
Fertilize until you drop
The nutritional requirements of this plant are among the highest in the cultivated plant kingdom. Instead it reaches heights of 2 m and blooms profusely. Fertilization is only omitted in winter, since plant growth is dormant.
- fertilize from spring to autumn
- also fertilize fresh substrate regularly
- Use complete fertilizer for flowering plants
- fertilize with it at least once a week
- better twice a week
The gentian bush indicates a lack of nutrients by dropping leaves in the lower area. Fertilize it immediately with a less diluted fertilizer solution.
Cutting for shape and flower
Cutting is an important point of care so that Solanum rantonnetii retains its dense shape and also forms many flowers. The cut must be done regularly and cautiously:
- cut cautiously in spring
- take away as little length as possible
- Make small corrections throughout the growing season
Hibernate gentian bush
Solanum rantonnetii is not hardy. Even low temperatures can be harmful. Therefore, you have to overwinter this South American shrub indoors as soon as the outside temperature drops below 7 ° C:
- Dig up free-range specimens and place in a pot
- cut back a little if necessary
- Winter frost-free, ideally above 7 ° C
- pour only a little
- Room should be bright
In a dark place, the shrub will lose its leaves and will have to sprout again in spring. As a result, the beginning of flowering is delayed. The wintering ends when the temperature allows it. That cannot be the case until mid-May.