Plant cylinder cleaners correctly
Since a callistemon cannot stand temperatures below zero degrees, the attractive ornamental wood is staged in the large bucket. Plant the cylinder cleaner in a pot with at least 30 liters volume, since heights of 2 to 3 meters are not uncommon. As a substrate, we recommend high-quality potted plant soil, which is optimized with expanded clay, (€ 17.50 at Amazon *) lava gravel or fine grit. This inorganic material is also suitable as a drainage system to prevent damaging waterlogging. This is how the procedure goes smoothly:
- Fill the bucket above the drainage halfway up with the recommended substrate
- Press a recess with your fist to insert the potted Callistemon
- The more precisely the previous planting depth is maintained, the more beneficial for the ornamental shrub
- 4 reasons why you should cut the cylinder cleaner
- Where and how should the cylinder cleaner be overwintered?
- Is the cylinder cleaner poisonous?
After the earth has been pressed and watered, the stressed cylinder cleaner stays in the partially shaded location for a few days to regenerate.
The maintenance protocol for a Callistemon contains the following significant agenda items:
- From March to September, liquid fertilize every 10-14 days
- Keep the root ball constantly moist without causing waterlogging
- Consistently clean off withered flowers
- After the autumn flowering period, cut back more if necessary
If a Callistemon lingered on the sunny balcony through the summer, a move to winter quarters is on the program in time for the first frost. In a bright, cool place with temperatures around 12 degrees Celsius, the floral magician rests from his three-time flower spectacle. A fourth flowering can be expected under the warmer conditions of the heated winter garden. However, this show of strength is at the expense of its service life. In this case, do the shape and maintenance cut in February.
Which location is suitable?
As a sun worshiper, it can't be sunny enough for a Callistemon. Therefore place the bucket in a light and warm place. So that the striking, bottle-cleaner-like flowers do not appear disheveled, the summery space on the balcony should be sheltered from the wind. Wherever the ornamental wood has to be content with a partially shaded location, it will indignantly fail the three-time burst of flowers.
What soil does the plant need?
When choosing the substrate, thrift is not appropriate. Use the best quality potted plant soil, because it is structurally stable and permeable at the same time. Ideally, add a few handfuls of expanded clay, quartz sand (€ 14.90 on Amazon *) or lava granulate (€ 10.95 on Amazon *). For better stability on the balcony, mix in nutrient-rich garden soil.
When is the flowering time?
An exotic callistemon delights us up to four times a year with its furious cylinder cleaner bloom. Cultivated on the terrace or balcony, the enchanting corn blossoms present themselves in May, July and September. Proud winter garden owners will be spoiled with another blooming season in February. The basic requirement for this masterpiece is the consistent pruning of the withered inflorescences.
Cut the cylinder cleaner correctly
Proper cutting of evergreen ornamental trees is often a headache for gardeners. How good that the Callistemon is so easy to cut and forgives one or the other beginner's mistake good-naturedly. How to cut the ornamental wood correctly:
- Clean off dead flowers immediately for a long flowering period
- Place the scissors just below the withered flower for each cut
- If necessary, cut back vigorously immediately after the autumn bloom
- The shape and maintenance cut combine with a thorough thinning of dead shoots
Since a callistemon flowers up to four times a year, the right pruning admittedly requires a certain amount of time. Your efforts will be rewarded with a permanent branching ornamental wood, which is hard to beat in terms of attractiveness.
Pour cylinder cleaner
The water balance of a Callistemon is at a high level. The root ball must not dry out at any time. If the cylinder cleaner is exposed to drought stress, the abundance of flowers suffers and the leaves dry up. To prevent this from happening, check the surface of the substrate daily. If the top 2 cm is dry, watering is required. It is advantageous if the ornamental wood is poured with soft water. The water collected in the saucer is emptied after 20 minutes at the latest.
Fertilize the cylinder cleaner properly
In order to bring out the opulent flowers and leaves, a callistemon needs a sufficient supply of nutrients. How to handle it right:
- Apply a complete liquid fertilizer every 10-14 days from March to September
- Optionally, apply a slow release fertilizer in March and June
The application of organic fertilizer is less recommended for a cylinder cleaner due to the delayed effect.
At home in sunny Australia, a Callistemon is unfamiliar with wintry weather conditions. Since a temperature around freezing point is only tolerated for a short time, the ornamental wood moves into the house, the winter garden or the greenhouse in September / October. This is how tropical beauty gets through the cold season in good health:
- The winter quarters are bright and cool, with temperatures around 12 degrees Celsius
- Reduced watering and stop fertilizing from September
- Carry out a cut back before putting away
Since the cylinder cleaner is ideally suited to decorating a winter garden all year round, the maintenance here takes a modified form. In proportion to the higher temperatures than in typical winter quarters, there is a higher need for watering. From October to February the plant continues to receive a dose of liquid fertilizer every month. Since a fourth flower can now be expected, the pruning will not take place until February.
Increase cylinder cleaners
In order to increase the exotic flower beauty, we recommend the cutting method. This is how easy it is to breed a callistemon:
- Non-flowering, semi-lignified head cuttings cut 10-15 cm in length
- Defoliate the lower part so that at least one pair of leaves remains
- Small pots fill with standard or pricking soil in order to insert two-thirds of the cuttings into them
- After pouring, put a transparent cover over it
In the partially shaded location with an average of 20 degrees Celsius, the rooting takes about 6 to 8 weeks. Then repot your pupils in a larger bucket so that they can be looked after like an adult cylinder cleaner from now on.
Is cylinder cleaner poisonous?
The cylinder cleaner is the ideal ornamental wood for the family garden. Since all parts of the plant are completely non-toxic, a Callistemon does not pose any health risk to humans or animals.
- Perth Pink: Pink flowering hybrid with reddish, velvety leaves
- Yellow cylinder cleaner: The variety contrasts wonderfully with the bright red flowers of the wild species
- Mauve Mist: Fantastically beautiful cultivation with pink-violet flowers and robust cut tolerance
- Lemon cylinder cleaner: This Callistemon impresses with its scarlet flowers and a lemony scent